Circle hooks for bluegills?

rathrbefishn

So was finally able to get the grandkids out fishing for the first time this year.  7 adn 4 years old.  Summer has been crazy. Had an awesome couple of hours on a local lake-  just works and bobbers.  They are both casting well-  some practice in my yard last week helped.  In any case- small bluegills and one small bass-  Any recommendation for a circle hook and suggested size?  Too many of these little fish were hooked a bit deep  with a #6 baitholder ( maybe it was a #8) and I'd like to avoid  it next time.,,,,hopefully next weekend.

The oldest said wasn't about catching fish it was about having fun.  They said it was more fun than video games-  Yeah!

Edited by rathrbefishn

I use circle hooks when I'm fishing live bait for bass.  Usually a size 2 or size 4.   For sunfish, especially small ones a size 6 or 8 should work.   Brands, I don't have my catalogs near me, I do use Gamakatsu hooks, straight eye.

Circle hooks won't necessarily solve the problem of the fish swallowing hooks.  As I said I'll use circle hooks when I'm feeling lazy and decide use live bait with a slip bobber.  If you wait to long to start reeling in there's a good chance the fish will swallow the hook. Then you just cut the line.

If you've taught your grandkids to set the hook, you'll need to unteach them.  More than likely they'll pull the hook out of the fish's mouth.  Bobber goes under, just start reeling.  Good Luck with the fishing.

Tell you the truth l’ve never had any luck with circle hooks on panfish. They just don’t run with the bait to set the hook them self’s,I’m sure that you have seen them eat they chew and spit and a lot of times the bobber doesn’t move. Setting the hook like Rolland Martin like kids do!! Doesn’t work with circle’s. Sorry to say but barbless is probably your best option.

• 3 weeks later...

Carlisle hooks. The long shank allows you to thread more worm on and is longer than the depth of the fish's mouth. I use #4 if I want to cull smaller fish and 6 or 8 if I am ok with catching them (I sometimes use bream for bait). 

if the kids are casting pretty good, you can go to beetle spins, which don't get sucked down so far. I don't use inline spinners, which also work, much unless I change to a single hook. Single hooks definitely reduce hookups on those lures, though. 

I have become too old to drink bourbon on the rocks. I will still drink it in the parking lot.