beatonem

Changing from trebles to singles?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Maybe you guys can help me out.  I'm in SWFL and want to change out my hooks.  I am throwing 1/2 to 1.5oz spoons small kastmasters, Johnsons, little claus.  They come with trebles and it is a nightmare with Spanish Mack's, ladyfish etc.  

What size and style would you guys recommend.  Also a split ring size.  I am looking at o'shaughnessy long shank.  Would short shank be better etc. Duratin coated or not.

Thanks in advance.

Long shanks always seem to find a way to snag your line/snap/swivel.

In AK, where there is no shortage of crazy, hard-fighting fish, you rarely see trebles and the singles are always short shank.

I frequently swap out with vmc inline singles. You will get less hookups as you don’t get the slashing miss hookups. When hooked, they tend to stay hooked.  Use a stronger hookset. There is a chart somewhere comparing weights for a recommended replacement 

48 mins ago, G8trwood said:

I frequently swap out with vmc inline singles. You will get less hookups as you don’t get the slashing miss hookups. When hooked, they tend to stay hooked.  Use a stronger hookset. There is a chart somewhere comparing weights for a recommended replacement 

Any idea where this chart could be found? Really looking to switch to singles for blue’s dam things always swallow smaller trebles. 

I fish SWFL and all the fish in those waters are crazy jumpers.  In line hooks are fine,just pick a size that fits what you are throwing.  I crush my barbs on all hooks because I C/R my catches and that makes unhooking much easier..  Do I assume you are on the beaches?  I carry a lip gripper to control the fish to unhook them.  You don't want to lip a spanish.  Snook can be a problem with all the shaking  they do.

I used quality ringed hooks to replace trebles.  The ring will keep the hook's orientation correct like an in-line hook, and there are many styles to choose from.  Personally, I like ringed Owner flyliner and gorillas.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was reading an article the other day about circle hooks.   They say they work good.  Just hold the rod and they set themself.  They even used them on flies. ( fly rod )

Edited by ccb

13 hours ago, John P said:

I fish SWFL and all the fish in those waters are crazy jumpers.  In line hooks are fine,just pick a size that fits what you are throwing.  I crush my barbs on all hooks because I C/R my catches and that makes unhooking much easier..  Do I assume you are on the beaches?  I carry a lip gripper to control the fish to unhook them.  You don't want to lip a spanish.  Snook can be a problem with all the shaking  they do.

Funny, I was just watching an old episode of Walker's Cay Chronicles where Flip laid a snook on its side while holding it just behind the pec fin in his palm and it basically went comatose. It just laid there motionless like it was asleep.

If you are having trouble finding the  inline hooks in Florida, there is an online tackle shop in New Jersey that is the only one that I know of that sells 4X VMC inline hooks in bulk if you are changing out a lot of hooks.

$7 for 25 #2/0 hooks, and $25 for 100 hooks.

(And under $4 for 100 5.5H Rosco stainless steel split rings. - you mentioned you need split rings.) 

I know I can't put the name of the tackle shop per SOL rules. But a google search with "NJ" and "tackle" in the search ought to turn it up for you.

But I really do think single hooks are better for fish if practicing catch and release. And better for the fisherman in that there is less chance of getting hooked yourself from a flopping fish.

Thanks for the responses fellas.  Anyone have a preference for a swivel,  line twist problems.  I just tie direct or with a loop knot.  I am usually starting with paddletails and being lazy cut and tie.  Should I use a swivel up front? How about 1 on the back to the hook?

In the Northeast many use a Spro swivel between the main line (usually braid) and the mono or fluoro leader. They come in different sizes depending on how heavy the fish you are targeting. 

And many who target striped bass and bluefish use a Tactical Anglers clip at the end of the leader to attach the soft plastic or plug so as to make changes easy.

On the other hand, most who target sharp eyed false albacore tie direct.

I know in Florida you will be targeting different species, so local advice will be best for you.

I like Owner inlines. They're definitely higher quality than VMC, and the eyelet profile is superior imo. (Hook is aligned with lure body better)

Sizes are off by 1 placement from VMC/Mustad inlines though. Gotta buy a size larger than those.

2/0 - 4/0 for your lures is perfect.