Califulltiltfishing

Spliced braid ?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Bought this expensive spool of braid when it arrived I spooled it up onto my reel and about 200 yards in to spool I find a strange bunch of fibers not sure what it is my guess is a splice . But here’s the kicker the company prides themselves on not splicing line so is it a splice  enquiring minds wanna know ? They say it’s a Knick in the line that was probably bumped during weaving but they offered to replace the spool so I’m not stressing on it but just curious what y’all think 

864F9F07-5797-445A-AB47-666EBEF67DA7.jpeg

7 mins ago, Livliner said:

Good catch, I'll be looking for that during future spooling.

If you spool by hand you really can’t miss it passing through your fingers

22 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

If you spool by hand you really can’t miss it passing through your fingers

Hear ya, however, I do spool by hand but wear a leather glove on the hand that the line passes thru for tighter tensioning.  Don't believe I have ever come across a splice in braid. In my world I would never think a company would allow such a practice to occur with new line.

34 mins ago, Livliner said:

Hear ya, however, I do spool by hand but wear a leather glove on the hand that the line passes thru for tighter tensioning.  Don't believe I have ever come across a splice in braid. In my world I would never think a company would allow such a practice to occur with new line.

I was shocked when it happened to me while spooling  Fireline.  I would have thought that Berkeley would have been better then that.  I don’t use a glove and that’s how I found it.  Funny thing, I use a cheap brand for bait fishing and have never seen it.  I’ve been using Hercules brand for years.

I worked for a Power Pro distributer. And seen all the returns for a few years.

The biggest flaw was mostly on large volume spools 1500-3000 yrds but did occur occasionally on small spools.

You could feel small hard spots in the line and sometimes a glob of material.

What happens is little cheese crud like build up and then attach to line.

Some you can see others just a little hard spot. 

That one is larger than any I seen.

The injectors weren't cleaned proper.

Oldroe - Good explanation!  I've been using Fireline for a couple of decades and have never seen a "fuzzy spot" while respooling.  But am total aware that "cheese curd", or as I call it, "snot", does indeed accumulate on a huge variety of produces at certain points in the production line over a period of hours/ days/weeks.  And from time to time the "snot" breaks lose and sticks to a produce... and off the snot goes to the customer.

did immediately take pictures and put it back on spool and contact their customer service he is sending a new spool out today and I’ll watching that line closely for any more flaws in production 

This is what happens when "manufacturers" outsource their products to Chinese factories that institute only as much QC as the "manufacturer" requires.  What that means in practice is that the "manufacturer" has to be the one actually responsible for the QC, because the PRC factories will typically take every opportunity to cut cost.

This was before Shimano got Power Pro. Everything was made in Colorado.

Not to make to big excuse it was millions and millions of yards against a box and half returns.