Stopsign32v

Would like some help on a +/- $200 casting rod

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm rather new to fishing and will mainly be doing some inshore fishing in south NC. I have a setup already, a Shimano stradic c4i+ 3000 series on a 6'6 St. Croix Avid X M/F. Let me say this setup has set the bar high! Holy cow is it light weight and smooth.

Anyways I want a baitcaster setup and got myself probably the last new 13 Fishing Concept C 8.1:1 ratio out on the market. I'm at the point now that I need a good setup to put it on. I will mainly be fishing topwater, Mirrolure 17MR, and some 1/8oz swimbaits. What rod do you guys suggest? I was suggested a ML setup with moderate action to keep from jerking the bait from the fish when they bite, but I honestly have no idea.

Edited by Stopsign32v

3 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

For $130 what do you guys think about the 7' St Croix Triumph Inshore ML/Mod casting rod? It apparently isn't out yet but soon...

It's hard to have an opinion on an unreleased product, maybe Scoob can get his mitts on one early, shishimo fanboy that he is.  There are plenty of current Mojo Inshores to choose from.

No offense, but if you are new to fishing, You are not going to enjoy casting 1/8 oz in a breeze (which there always is) with a casting outfit. I would suggest you got a medium weight casting rod and looked for another way to cast the swimbaits. 

Southern inshore fishermen do prefer more moderate actions, but it is not mandatory. If you fish trout, then a softer rod is nice, but flounder and reds have solid mouths so it is less significant. A second reason for a moderate rod is casting shrimp, which can fly off if you get too aggressive. It doesn't sound like you are looking at that much. 

The only reason I see you preferring a moderate rod would be working topwater baits, so you should consider how much you will be doing that. 

If you find a rod you like, it will do the job. I do recommend you consider longer rods- they cast further when they can, which is only some of the time. But they also give you a better angle over the grass. 

5 mins ago, Sweetwater said:

No offense, but if you are new to fishing, You are not going to enjoy casting 1/8 oz in a breeze (which there always is) with a casting outfit. I would suggest you got a medium weight casting rod and looked for another way to cast the swimbaits. 

Southern inshore fishermen do prefer more moderate actions, but it is not mandatory. If you fish trout, then a softer rod is nice, but flounder and reds have solid mouths so it is less significant. A second reason for a moderate rod is casting shrimp, which can fly off if you get too aggressive. It doesn't sound like you are looking at that much. 

The only reason I see you preferring a moderate rod would be working topwater baits, so you should consider how much you will be doing that. 

If you find a rod you like, it will do the job. I do recommend you consider longer rods- they cast further when they can, which is only some of the time. But they also give you a better angle over the grass. 

Yea I can cast the 1/8oz swimbaits with the spinning setup, it slings them pretty good. I do plan to go with a 7' or 7'5 and I would love to catch some trout but I'm not really targeting anything, I don't think my skills are good enough for that.

The good news is both the 17MR and the various topwaters cut the wind well, so you should do fine with them fairly quickly. I always feel like a pro throwing those Mirrodines. 

I am not a good inshore fisherman, but I drink with some rednecks, so this is what I offer: all three species look for current and structure. Flounder want shallow, sandy flats with close current and the opportunity to see well ahead of themselves. Trout want deeper structure with higher current and reds want to rush the grass with the tide.

Look at the water and decide what you want to fish for, then work it. If you think it looks good, work it at different tides. 90% of fish are caught in 5% of the water, so if you like it, odds are the fish will, too. 

Okay, you like St. Croix (and you should).  Those of us that build rods have noticed the changes in St. Croix's offerings.  The only rod blank you can buy from St. Croix now that is American made is the SC5 series.  We have already seen the factory built Tidemaster go away (built on SC2 blanks).  Reading the tea leaves would suggest the Avid will be next to go (built on SC3 blanks).  Rodgeeks out of Mexico now sells the St. Croix blanks and doesn't even offer the SC3 line.  So if you like the Avid line I suggest you get as many as you can afford now because I think you won't be able to buy them in the future.

Okay, now to your question at hand.  The general consensus among rod builders is to go with a slower action rod (one that bends deeper into the middle of the blank) when fishing offerings with treble hooks.  A "popping" rod would be perfect for what you want to do.  I'd suggest a 3 power (8-15#) in 7 to 8 foot length.  Problem is a don't know what brands offer such a thing in a factory built rod.  If I was buying a raw blank a few names at the top of my list would be Lamiglass, Rainshadow, Point Blanks, and NFC.

Spoke with St. Croix today and they said the Mojo Inshore would be a great rod however they said since I have already gotten used to the Avid series, stepping down I might not like the Mojo because it isn't as light or as sensitive as the Avid. 

They suggested a 7' Avid or Avid X. 

Well I just got a Mojo ML/Mod action in 7'6", it was only $139. Russ, I think this is the action you pretty much were mentioning. 

I think I'm also going to get the Avid X 7' M/F too so I don't end up regretting it. 

Now I'll have to buy another reel to put on the other rod. I see how this hobby is going......

Edited by Stopsign32v

Falcon ultimate trout. Will throw light stuff and I use it with MR14, spoons and mostly gulp on 1/8 oz jigheads. Moderate action. Fun little rod

Edited by G8trwood