Patrick9915

New Lure Design

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Good Morning.  I wish my lures were progressing faster but I work so many hours and I am just spent when I get home.  I'd much rather spend time with my wife and the dog than fiddle on the computer after staring at a screen for a few more hours.  Last time we left off, I was using Blender3D which is a truly awesome program but it's more for 3D arts like animation and making video game assets.  I have years of experience in that program and me being SIM-esque, I was hesitant to change but it really wasn't the best program.  So I decided to learn how to use Fusion 360 which is very different.  It's been slow going.

My favorite lures to fish are pencil poppers.  In my neck of the woods, bass are usually pushing herring to the top so they're really effective and the design isn't super complicated.  I have to admit that I think I bit off more than I could chew with the darter but I will get back to that when I have more control over the program.

This is what I have come up with as (hopefully) an improvement to the Gibbs Pencil.  I've flattened the belly, a feature I see on a lot of other pencil poppers.  I do want to work on the nose area a bit to reduce the sharp edges.  More work to be done is to make the peg for the swivel hole (more on this), split it in half, and do the pegs for aligning the two halves together.  

pencilpopper.PNG.82a23ce1149094359c10c72e64f6d17a.PNG

pencilpopper2.png.dc3f9c1e65ffe36a77e12bea3f98e79f.png

I have abandoned the idea of printing the mold boxes.  It just takes too long and I have enough tools to make them out of wood.  

Also decided is I am going to cast these in one piece as someone else suggested.  This allows two things.  It allows me to hide the wire wraps on both sides.  It will also allow me to peg the egg sinker I am using as a weight exactly where I want it.  On this lure, it's going to be in the tail but other lures may have different weights.  I'll cross those bridges when I come to it.

Now the last question is the swivel.  If I am casting the wire in place, I can't just put a swivel or it will be ensconced in the plastic.  The idea I have had is to make a smaller mold the shape of a cylinder and then encase the swivel into another material.  Either something soft like silicone that I can rip out of the hole later on.  Not sure if I am explaining that well.  When I actually do live demos, maybe this will become clearer.  

Another task I need to complete is to make a wire form since it needs to be the same size as the lure.

Stay tuned.

9 mins ago, seadogface said:

does the plastic medium "out gas" ? cause fish have noses.

The plastic that I will be using to cast the lures is commonly used for fish.  Check out Larry Dahlberg's youtube channel.

What is the length and weight going to be? It seems that the sharp edges you referred to, would create alot of drag, maybe? Looks good though, good luck in your progression!

Edited by Mack26

If you’re planning on making them wooden then why do it on a computer and not just mess around with the wood? Make a bottle or bottle darter those have been my best lure this year.

6 mins ago, Reed422 said:

If you’re planning on making them wooden then why do it on a computer and not just mess around with the wood? Make a bottle or bottle darter those have been my best lure this year.

Not wood.  Plastic.

27 mins ago, Mack26 said:

What is the length and weight going to be? It seems that the sharp edges you referred to, would create alot of drag, maybe? Looks good though, good luck in your progression!

6.5". Still messing around with weight.  It needs to be buoyant enough float 1.5" out of the top. Need to weigh out the hardware and then I can calculate the plastic mix I'm going to use.

I'd go with a stainless hanger instead of a swivel.

The process of having the wire already in the blank when you pour should work well with this.

Get yourself some good split rings and I think you've got a connection just as good, if not better than a swivel.