JPSmith29

Anyone wanna help a newbie?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I finally caved and bought a 9 ft 9wt the other day to fish for stripers on the fly. I’m a semi competent caster if there’s no wind but throw any wind at me or put me in the dark and sh*t hits the fan lol. Anyone fly fish for stripers in the New Bedford/Dartmouth area of MA willing to fish with me sometime and give me a few pointers on casting and general striper techniques on the fly?

Can't help you the way you asked, but look up Mark Sedotti, he posts here as NoBullS or something like that.  He's in your area, get some casting lessons from him.  Flies, lines, spots, leader formulas, etc. . . none of that knowledge is any good if you can't cast.

Dark is tough for majority of guys. You don’t see too many out at night.

Oakies advise is pretty much spot on. It’s fundamental that we are able to get our fly to the  fish. 

Tricky winds are a constant challenge salt water fly fishing but get a decent  cast and you can deal with most of them.

Once you have done that then night time will hold way fewer probs. You will have the beach to yourself and will catch much bigger fish generally.

Four to six lessons can move you a very long way up the casting competency curve.

Great opportunity to get set before bad habits get ingrained.

Have fun.

mike

Wind sucks, but you can deal with this way. Become a sling shot caster, casts of 30-40' "to cast strip in about 6-8 feet, pickup rod abruptly and pull remaining line straight back, wait till it straightens and throw forward at about 6' of water., no wind wraps and it works. I use a 9.6 6 wt. full float 5 wt line and a 3' lead head section from Trident. Been doing it for 40 yrs. For steelhead under brush, snook in the tree, Bonefish Tarpon and Permit where I want little  visibilty. . You can practice in your yard, coil hose, pail. Strip sline and cast sling shot line till you get distance.In 10 mins you can be within 5' every cast .Do with or without wind., just keep line tight on back cast. On a beach you can use the beach or dune as a landing zone on back cast. Doesn't look like a traidional cast, but so what. You want to hook fish, KISS , If fish are on top ,take off lead head. Yes I"m fishing less than than 5' of water... 7 this morning, over 800 this year, and still another 3-4 weeks.  

007.JPG

15 hours ago, Oakman said:

Can't help you the way you asked, but look up Mark Sedotti, he posts here as NoBullS or something like that.  He's in your area, get some casting lessons from him.  Flies, lines, spots, leader formulas, etc. . . none of that knowledge is any good if you can't cast.

That is exactly why I want to try and get a good foundation now. I tried searching NoBullS but nothing came up. Is there another way I’d be able to contact him?

8 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Dark is tough for majority of guys. You don’t see too many out at night.

Oakies advise is pretty much spot on. It’s fundamental that we are able to get our fly to the  fish. 

Tricky winds are a constant challenge salt water fly fishing but get a decent  cast and you can deal with most of them.

Once you have done that then night time will hold way fewer probs. You will have the beach to yourself and will catch much bigger fish generally.

Four to six lessons can move you a very long way up the casting competency curve.

Great opportunity to get set before bad habits get ingrained.

Have fun.

mike

Exactly why I reached out on here. I wanna nip any bad habits in the butt before they become engrained in muscle memory. I’m a big surf fisherman so I know all about the benefits of night time and once I get a feel for my cast I believe I’ll be able to comfortably fish at night at a few of my spots that don’t require long range

4 hours ago, JPSmith29 said:

Exactly why I reached out on here. I wanna nip any bad habits in the butt before they become engrained in muscle memory. I’m a big surf fisherman so I know all about the benefits of night time and once I get a feel for my cast I believe I’ll be able to comfortably fish at night at a few of my spots that don’t require long range

Casting a fly at night is pretty tricky. Great day time casters don’t always do so well at night. There is a knack to it. I will look for an post I have done a few times which explains a technique you can consider and see if I can PM it to you.

I kicked off Surf Casting and our close in as a Surf Caster is very different to the Fly Guys. It is an eye opener just how incredibly close in we can catch. Mind I bet you found this with plugs etc at times .

Mike

3 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Casting a fly at night is pretty tricky. Great day time casters don’t always do so well at night. There is a knack to it. I will look for an post I have done a few times which explains a technique you can consider and see if I can PM it to you.

I kicked off Surf Casting and our close in as a Surf Caster is very different to the Fly Guys. It is an eye opener just how incredibly close in we can catch. Mind I bet you found this with plugs etc at times .

Mike

That would be awesome if you could find and send me that post!

as for catching in close I’ve had that experience many times and it really is eye opening. I actually had that this morning around sunrise, had a a few hits on my darter and my metal lips basically at my rod tip. I can’t wait for this on the fly!

14 hours ago, JPSmith29 said:

That would be awesome if you could find and send me that post!

as for catching in close I’ve had that experience many times and it really is eye opening. I actually had that this morning around sunrise, had a a few hits on my darter and my metal lips basically at my rod tip. I can’t wait for this on the fly!

Found it amazingly so I have sent it.

mikey o

Congratulations on starting your journey into saltwater flyfishing.   I fought it for many years, but finally gave in to pressure from my friend to try his fly rod while we were on fish and have never looked back.   I will never leave my dock without at least 2 fly rods no matter what type of fishing was planned for the day.  
As far as night fishing my only suggestion would be to make sure your overall casting ability during day light is fluid and second nature.   Once you get comfortable with just feeling your rod load without looking at your line in the back cast start casting during the day with your eyes closed.  This will be a good indicator to how you will be casting at night.  Trying to cast at night before I was ready only produce broken rod tips, tangled leaders, and hooking myself.  
Time on the rod is the biggest factor to improving your casting.  Don’t practice till fatigue has set in.  That will cause you to develop bad casting habits.  I would suggest 30 min a day. 
Casting in windy conditions is a must learn skill.  Double hauling is a must have skill to accomplish casting on windy days.   Once you have become proficient in double hauling in windless conditions, minor tweaks to Your technique will be needed to cast in different wind directions.  For example, if the wind is directly in your face you will haul with less force than normal on your back cast since the wind will assist in carrying your line behind you and you will need a slightly sharper, not more power, on your haul for your forward cast.  
Cant say enough about getting some quality lessons to make sure you don’t develop poor habits, and YouTube is a plethora of great information.  Practice is essential.  
Most importantly have fun fishing and learning.   It is in my opinion the greatest way to fish for saltwater species from the back bay to the open water.  
If you are ever in Long Island don’t hesitate to reach out.  I will be more than happy to show you what I know and go fishing.  

8 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Found it amazingly so I have sent it.

mikey o

Just read it and oh my does that sound like it works perfect! Once I get comfortable with basic casts during the day I will for sure be trying this at night

thank you mike!

Jake

7 hours ago, Davidianfishing said:

Congratulations on starting your journey into saltwater flyfishing.   I fought it for many years, but finally gave in to pressure from my friend to try his fly rod while we were on fish and have never looked back.   I will never leave my dock without at least 2 fly rods no matter what type of fishing was planned for the day.  
As far as night fishing my only suggestion would be to make sure your overall casting ability during day light is fluid and second nature.   Once you get comfortable with just feeling your rod load without looking at your line in the back cast start casting during the day with your eyes closed.  This will be a good indicator to how you will be casting at night.  Trying to cast at night before I was ready only produce broken rod tips, tangled leaders, and hooking myself.  
Time on the rod is the biggest factor to improving your casting.  Don’t practice till fatigue has set in.  That will cause you to develop bad casting habits.  I would suggest 30 min a day. 
Casting in windy conditions is a must learn skill.  Double hauling is a must have skill to accomplish casting on windy days.   Once you have become proficient in double hauling in windless conditions, minor tweaks to Your technique will be needed to cast in different wind directions.  For example, if the wind is directly in your face you will haul with less force than normal on your back cast since the wind will assist in carrying your line behind you and you will need a slightly sharper, not more power, on your haul for your forward cast.  
Cant say enough about getting some quality lessons to make sure you don’t develop poor habits, and YouTube is a plethora of great information.  Practice is essential.  
Most importantly have fun fishing and learning.   It is in my opinion the greatest way to fish for saltwater species from the back bay to the open water.  
If you are ever in Long Island don’t hesitate to reach out.  I will be more than happy to show you what I know and go fishing.  

I already experienced the frustration of tangles, hooks, and just trying to fish beyond my capabilities. The day I bought the fly rod I went to one of my favorite spots to surfcast, inlet of a salt pond, to fish the last hour of daylight and into the night and planned on casting pencils with the surf rod for a few Then switching to the fly rod till dark then back to the surf rod. Long story short had people fishing near me for the first time almost ever there and they crowded me like crazy so I couldn’t use the fly rod. They end up leaving after a couple hours before the tide even turned good so I try the fly rod again in the dark and between the two a**hats and struggling with the fly rod I wanted to throw the thing lol
after that experience I’m gonna stick to the daytime until I get at least a few outings of consistently good casting on my part under my belt then I’ll try it again. And while I’m doing this and practicing I will for sure be keeping in mind all of your tips!

if I’m ever on Long Island I’ll definitely take you up on that offer!