Bigfish25

Kayaking in the cold

12 posts in this topic

This is the first year that DW and I have been kayaking. I am looking for recommendations for cold weather gear (gloves, socks, pants etc.) or other suggestions for staying warm this fall. Please include brand names if applicable. Thanks 

Dry suit should be considered.   I have a Kokatat SuperNova Angler Semi-Dry suit, i love it.   Get some boots for the feet, layer undernearth to stay warm.  Gloves are a good idea, Glacier Gloves has a wide range, has excellent sales several times a year.  And a warm hat or two depending on wind and temp

I have found that wearing rubber gloves under my warmer gloves helps keep my hands warmer. Some have told me that it makes the fishing a little more difficult, but I don't like it when my gloves get wet. My hands can't warm up at all when that happens. I have no specific brand in mind, but consider getting good ones because the cheap ones rip too easily.

I would also consider a Under Armour shirts to wear under your clothes. I used to think it was bogus, but it really does wick the moisture away. I have worked up a sweat while paddling, and it made fishing more difficult because I had the chills.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Big fish, Search ‘cold weather gear’, ‘wetsuit’ or ‘dry suit’, and use the advanced feature to specify the kayaking forum. You’ll get plenty to read.

Edited by cheech

Once it gets around November a dry suit isn’t optional in my opinion or a thick wetsuit. If you go the dry suit route make sure you get a relief zipper installed

5 hours ago, Rangler said:

What do yall wear for shoes? I am wearing dry pants + neoprene 1.5mm dry sock. Not sure what to wear on my feet.

If that's integral to the drypants, wear non-cotton socks under and sport sandals over. You don't want to compress your feet if you can help it, it squeezes out the warmth!

Last season and this spring I put on thick socks, plastic bag, then neoprene boots 5mm....did the trick but I don't go out in November, I might do a few October trips here in NJ

15 hours ago, kevbo1756 said:

Last season and this spring I put on thick socks, plastic bag, then neoprene boots 5mm....did the trick but I don't go out in November, I might do a few October trips here in NJ

I do this when I wear a wetsuit, and my feet stay bone dry. For plastic bags, “everyday the paperboy brings more”-Pink Floyd

37 mins ago, cheech said:

I do this when I wear a wetsuit, and my feet stay bone dry. For plastic bags, “everyday the paperboy brings more”-Pink Floyd

My dad used to use the bags under his boots when he was out in the snow and he did it to us as kids, my feet were never cold that's for sure. Seems to be working in the kayak as well and like you said, best of all they are free and you can throw them out after use another next time.