Nbourque

Fall run is on

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Caught 5 fish with my buddy this morning all in 2 hours of fishing. 2 at 30” 2 at 27” and one at 40” that was well over 20 lbs. my biggest striper by far. Unreal fishing. Fish were super aggressive. All caught on brined chunk macs. I’ll post pics but there are some houses in the background....spot burn?

74098119-7BDB-447C-8BC8-C769B4784443.jpeg

05E76CDC-BDCB-4397-B60A-764C16BF95F8.jpeg

Edited by Nbourque

9 mins ago, Nbourque said:

Caught 5 fish with my buddy this morning all in 2 hours of fishing. 2 at 30” 2 at 27” and one at 40” that was well over 20 lbs. my biggest striper by far. Unreal fishing. Fish were super aggressive. All caught on brined chunk macs. I’ll post pics but there are some houses in the background....spot burn?

Likely would be. Edit them and blur out the houses. 

Frim shore or a boat? I’m dying to get back out but suspect the seas are not favorable. 

1 min ago, NHAngler said:

Likely would be. Edit them and blur out the houses. 

Frim shore or a boat? I’m dying to get back out but suspect the seas are not favorable. 

Shore

Great job, bud.    Down here the pull has been  so bad the past 2 days I've been unable to take advantage of the big tides.   The line is next to me in under 3 minutes.    think I'd need 12 ounce weights to keep it out.   

12 mins ago, MartyK said:

Great job, bud.    Down here the pull has been  so bad the past 2 days I've been unable to take advantage of the big tides.   The line is next to me in under 3 minutes.    think I'd need 12 ounce weights to keep it out.   

Thanks man! I was worried about the strong tides too before I arrived but it wasn’t bad at all where I was. 4 ounces of weight and the bait was staying put. 

Nice!! I was out there this morning, but the current is ridiculous. I doubled up on sinkers and still couldn't hold. Managed a couple short bass for the effort.

7 hours ago, FlyingFish78 said:

Nice!! I was out there this morning, but the current is ridiculous. I doubled up on sinkers and still couldn't hold. Managed a couple short bass for the effort.

I had the same exact day, chasing my bait across the beach and getting 2 micros.   Tomorrow I may take advantage of that high tide and get out around noon.   Hopefully, the wild currents will have diminished.   

I had a once in a lifetime night last wednesday in southern maine.  This season has been odd.  Everything it seems mid 20s with 5 40+ inch fish out of  about 100 caught.  More big fish than ive ever seen in a season.  Then wednesday happened.  Rough night anchored in 4 foot swells.  Boat all over the place.   Same honey hole we have fished a dozen times this year.  Between 2 of us we caught 15 fish between 37" and 45" with 7 being 40 or over and throw in 1 24 for good measure in a little over 2 hours befor dark and right after.  It was incredible.  We lost 3 others on break offs and lost the bigest fish of the night trying to get it i to the boat.  The lip grabber that worked fine on the 45 wasnt big enough get over the lip of that one.  Appreciably bigher than the 45.  Live macks.  Live pollack.  Chunks of either it didnt matter.  I may have reached the pinnacle.  There will never again be a night like that. Oh and i still have not caught a single fish between 28 and 35 all year. 

20200920_205001.jpg

20200920_204941.jpg

20200920_204908.jpg

20200920_204853.jpg

20200920_204821.jpg

3165.jpeg

Lose the fish gripper and get some quality gloves and lip those big fish. Wednesday was good big seas, new moon phase. There definetly will be more nights like that if you stay after it.

Hey gents,

How long do you anticiptate before this migration reaches the Cape? I tried at the sunset today, and could be the wind blowing onshore and low tide conditions, but it was crap.

Edited by ifishthebadspots

8 hours ago, snapper head said:

You guys up there still have a lot of big bait around? Porgies mackerel?

Have to watch autocorrect.  PORGIES = SCUP = Fine dining

POGIES = Mossbunker AKA Menhaden AKA Bunker = Fish Meal

And yes, we have Pogies and mackerel, but no PoRgies...

Edited by Roccus7

9 hours ago, MaineStriper321 said:

... lost the bigest fish of the night trying to get it i to the boat.  

There's always a big-azz net, which is far more fish-friendly.  Hauling a big fish in by the jaw isn't very fish friendly.  

The nice part about a net is that it gives the fish a chance to keep breathing while you unhook it and is makes for an easy revival platform.

And finally, a net in a rocket launcher of a moored/docked boat is a GREAT Gull deterrent.  They don't want to get near it so your cabin or T-top roof stops being the local crapper.  Of course the UV light does wear the netting.  I take down my "good" net when I dock, and pull out a cheap "sacrificial" one...

Edited by Roccus7

I think having a big ass net on board is a good idea.  The lip gripper typically only gets used once or twice a season with a big fish and then really only when the boat is moving around a lot and its tough getting a positive lock with a gloved hand.  That night was pure chaos.  Big fish.  Boat rocking in 4 ft.  Waves.  Much of the time doubled up.  Seemed every fish new exactly where the anchor line was.  Perilous tripps via narrow walkway to bow. Rod in one hand holding on for dear life with the other to manouver line around anchor.   We called it about half hour after dark with an ongoing feeding frenzy of 40+ inch fish because it was simply too dicey after dark to continue.  Net would have definitely helped.