Doc of the Bay

Tire pressure 4runner

26 posts in this topic

You need to experiment a bit as different pressures are needed for various conditions. I would start at 20~25lbs, and drive a bit then let off the gas and coast. If you stop right away, let out some more. You should be able to let off the gas and coast / float on the sand for a bit before coming to a stop. Depending on tire size, etc. you'll find a sweet spot between 15~18lbs for the softer / dryer sand, maybe a bit higher for more wet / packed stuff most likely.

On 9/19/2020 at 11:48 AM, StuC said:

You need to experiment a bit as different pressures are needed for various conditions. I would start at 20~25lbs, and drive a bit then let off the gas and coast. If you stop right away, let out some more. You should be able to let off the gas and coast / float on the sand for a bit before coming to a stop. Depending on tire size, etc. you'll find a sweet spot between 15~18lbs for the softer / dryer sand, maybe a bit higher for more wet / packed stuff most likely.

don't experiment 

On 9/28/2020 at 7:18 AM, Doc of the Bay said:

Thanks to all for the info. Watch hill beach 25 to 28 worked fine

Way to much IMO.  Door jamb spec is 32, is Watch Hill paved, cause you're real close to highway spec?  I run 15, maybe 18 if sand is wet from rain, that's on an Expedition, Sequoia, Pathfinder, and 2010 4Runner.  Those buggies were in the past, currently driving a 2020 4Runner, more likely at 15 psig once I buy a buggy pass.  Never got stuck but I've helped others out, 1st question I ask: are you aired down?  Yes, then air down some more and I'll help get you unstuck.  No, I walk away.

I wouldn’t even consider 25-28 aired down. You really should be around 18. Your truck and the beach will appreciate it. The truck won’t have to work so hard and you won’t leave deep ruts in the sand. 

23 hours ago, Doc of the Bay said:

Z man do you fish watch hill beach? The sand is pretty hard for most of it

I have not driven on that beach but do have a 4Runner and air down to 12 to 18 depending on the beach. You want to be aired down enough so that when you hit a soft spot you don’t dig in. 

2 hours ago, Doc of the Bay said:

Which beach do you drive ?

Sandy Neck and the National SeaShore beaches. 18 psi for Sandy Neck, it’s  pretty hard packed sand. 12 PSI for the National Seashore beaches which are very soft and deep sand. 

I have had a few 4Runners, and I have found that 18-20 is the sweet spot for me no matter which beach I’m on.... the sand down here in Delaware can range from fairly hard packed to sugar sand..... I won’t own another vehicle though, from beaches to mountain trails, it does it all......