jjdbike

TIME Estimate PLEASE: Whole Butt smoke-realtime

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Good Morning Friends & Happy Saturday. Fall is in the air & I'm lovin' it!

I wanted to try smoking my second butt for pulling. Having a few folks over for a socially connected, physically distant - COVID safe cook out around the fire pit. At the encouragement of my wife, I was also interested in trying some heritage pork. It was much darker in color and very well marbled. 

Yesterday I made two sauces. At Little's recommendation I made "Lexington Dip" to sprinkle on pork as I pull it. For those who like sweet thicker sauces I also made a Kansas City style sauce. It turned out well.

Last night I trimmed it (removed a good bit of the fat cap) and injected w/ Myron Mixon's recipe of 64 oz apple juice, 2 teaspoons of hot sauce (I used Tobacco Chipotle) and 3 teaspoons of Minor's Pork Base. Set in fridge overnight. 

Took it out of the fridge this morning around 4:45 am. Patted it dry, coated it w/ olive oil and yellow mustard & applied Meat Church's Honey Hog.

I assumed it was 6 or potentially 8 lbs. Just for kicks I weighed it. Uh Oh, it's 12 lbs. My timeline for 5:30 dinner just got way tighter and so did my sphincter.  No time for low & slow! Enough people I trust advocate for hot & fast, I'll chance it on this expensive cut.

Went on the the 200 degree BGE at 6:15, by 6:45 it had settled in at 275.

Gonna check to see if bark is set at 9. If so I'll spritz it every 15 mins or so till internal reaches 165.

At the point I'll pan it & wrap it w/ some pork stock & apple juice. I'm also considering kicking up the egg to 300

Do you guys think I'll hit 208 & be ready to rest by 4 or soon after? Is it worth or necessary to kick up to 325? What do you guys think?

I'll keep ya'll posted. 

Thanks,

JD

62207131582__E8115C27-D929-4D8C-9999-0163BBAC2671.jpeg

62207130743__5E735361-271C-4BC8-BB33-C9CC944ACFF1.jpeg

IMG_2516.jpeg

4 mins ago, Little said:

Usint that method takes me round 6 to 7.5.

Okay thanks. If that translates, I should have enough time. 

It’s 930, bark is set. Spritzed, flipped, spritzed otherside. 
Internal temp is 140.

I’m guessing it’ll take another two hours to hit 160.

I’m gonna keep egg at 275 till then. 

At internal of 160, wrap, cover & pan & kick egg upto 300.

Thanks.

JD

On 9/19/2020 at 9:25 AM, Little said:

Usint that method takes me round 6 to 7.5.

Thanks again. You were absolutely spot on. 7.5!

You certainly know your stuff.

JD