JRT

Any fishfinder gurus in the house?

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've been using my trusty Garmin Echomap 50DV for years without issue but I fancied an upgrade, so I got a Garmin Echomap UHD 65cv with a GT24UHD transducer. This has chirp, UHD downscan, updated charts, and a bigger screen obviously.
But first time out the downscan is fine but I'm getting a red bar across the sonar screen (on all frequencies) and the depths are all wrong - see below. Sometimes the red line is near the surface but most of the time its mid depth - its almost like a double return? It's fitted to 2018 Hobie outback with the transducer cover plate on the bottom so you are not shooting through the hull of the kayak.
Thoughts?

16-SEP20-1550-02.png

16SEP20_1550_02.bmp

Edited by JRT

Red line;

Thermoclines show up like that, I occasionally see them from time to time......

You can try lowering the sensitivity. With those returns, it looks like it's set high....

Edited by BillZ
stupid phone changed my spelling.... again

6 hours ago, Rick67 said:

Check keel displacement setting.

Good shout but I don't think it is this as it varies and I have sailboat settings disabled. Also, the depth scale on the right seems inverse?

How about a reset and start fresh. That's going to be tech supports first recommendation. Personally I've never seen two screens read opposite and for one to add five feet is even more odd.

Make sure the right transducer is picked during setup is a thought also.

What Bill said could also be.  Shouldn't add depth though.

8 hours ago, JRT said:

I've been using my trusty Garmin Echomap 50DV for years without issue but I fancied an upgrade, so I got a Garmin Echomap UHD 65cv with a GT24UHD transducer. This has chirp, UHD downscan, updated charts, and a bigger screen obviously.
But first time out the downscan is fine but I'm getting a red bar across the sonar screen (on all frequencies) and the depths are all wrong - see below. Sometimes the red line is near the surface but most of the time its mid depth - its almost like a double return? It's fitted to 2018 Hobie outback with the transducer cover plate on the bottom so you are not shooting through the hull of the kayak.
Thoughts?

16-SEP20-1550-02.png

16SEP20_1550_02.bmp

That looks like surface noise to me. You can suppress that. Look for sonar setup, noise reject in sonar setup menu.

Edited by YaknIndy
More info

Surface noise is pretty much sub surface, at least for me it is.

That line is a strong return that is about 4' dp based on the right side depth scale.

Edited by BillZ

I can replicate surface noise similar to his line but not as strong at a 7' depth by my rod tips touching the water while trolling.  Wouldn't think it would show at depth but figure these side imaging transducers are sensitive even when being used for only down.

I'm thinking that since in the left image the depth is inverted, bottom is 0 rather than the surface, there's something up in the settings.

I did a factory reset and I will contact Garmin support for advice. Maybe the transducer doesn't like sitting behind the hobie cover plate? 

That’s pretty weird

It actually seems to be the surface of the water. Looks like you’re depth is 15’ but you’re scale is inverted and goes to 20’. Seems to be a settings issue