fishBAD

Mung help

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I have been fishing sandy beaches on the North Shore this year.  Lures mostly, and I'm having trouble with mung.  Seems any kind of east wind kicks the stuff up.  And it doesn't take much to render my presentation inefective.  My question is this do you guys have any suggestions for fishing through the stuff?  Is a certain lure better at avoiding it somehow?  Or am I just gonna have to go somewhere else?

You'll need to find another spot for that particular outing, sometimes just a hundred yards down the beach and you can find fishable waters, sometimes its just a gap until you walk into more trouble. Far as I know (I'm a Jersey guy with minimum but enough mung experience to know it sucks and can ruin a night. Don't think wind or water temp can predict mung or not, it comes and goes, wish it would just go.

Best of luck, keep moving. I will say my experience is that it is much more severe off of the outer Cape beaches, but go as far north or south as you can on that stretch as it seems to concentrate its existence away from the points (Race Pt and Chatham). Supposedly its a healthy and useful kind of seaweed. Monkey snot.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Pencil popper or needlefish danced quickly on the surface during the day can sometimes be the only way.  This will catch cows too if they are around.   Lots of mung and dirty water this day. 

39C69511-C6C9-4389-B2D4-35CF410D8848.jpeg

Edited by Aaron Barmmer

If you can find a high point to scout the beach sometimes there will be a low/no mung zone. Or just walk until you find a spot, observing the deposits on the shoreline.

And second on the surface lures. Some waders to walk in a ways can get you past it too.

Thanks, I'll try some surface lures.  I got some Harbor spots a bit farther away that dont mung up.   Looking at the N.S. report it seems I'm not the only one getting pushed off the beach.  

Depending on how bad the weeds are, you might be able to get away with a weedless rig. Many soft plastics can be rigged weedless - in fact, I can only think of something like a wider profile shad body as being problematic rigging this way. But with that said, there is a point where the mung gets too thick even for that to work effectively