Ryan D.

Fishing from land at Hawks Cay

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Looks like we might be taking a trip to Hawks Cay in early December and they told me I could fish from land there.  

What do I throw out there?  Just go buy shrimp and throw them out?  Early morning/late night will probably be my only free time when the kids are asleep or just waking up.

Thanks for any tips or advice.  Guess I need a FL license too.  

Edited by Ryan D.

Fish w/ any bait you can and have fun w/ Mangrove snappers. 

At risk of getting warned about spot burning, scout out close bridges.

Was there last October,,, real nice area.

Bridges, some very goods one there, channels and seawalls. There are some beaches oceanside early evenings to consider with sun at your back

Thanks guys. What should I throw out at the bridges?  Just hit a local bait shop and pick up whatever they recommend?  I also read to visit  the marina and ask for some fresh scraps from the filet table. We'll have a little kitchen so it would be great to put some snapper on the table. What else might I be able to catch for the table?

white bucktail jigs tipped with mullet strip bounced on bottom anywhere on bridge and seawall at ends. Live  shrimp live lined outgoing tides from bay side evenings is deadly. Certainly chunking mullet on bottom, FRESH mullet is 10xs better!. Like anything else take a walk and observe.

Mangrove snapper need to be 10” to keep,,,,, you may have to weed through lots of small ones, but they are everywhere down there ,,,and delicious!

Check out some YouTube videos on fishing the bridges in the Keys

Chicken rigs for the bridges. Shrimp or squid.

Flats use a slider jig 1/4 oz to 3/8 oz tipped with shrimp.

Night flats use same or florida rig with egg sinker between two swivels ahead of 2 feet of leader with mustad keeper. Shrimp or squid. 

Pick up a cuban yoyo if you want to handline.