Southcoastphil

Portable air tank for airbrush?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I'm starting to consider getting an airbrush to supplement my franken-rattle-can painting. 

I have a Porter Cable compressor (LOUD, but rock solid) in my garage.  I've considered bringing it into the woodshop (in a sound deadened closet) but, since I don't want to give up that space and I rarely need a lot of compressed air in the wood shop, I'm leaning toward just filling a tank that I could use (almost silently) for the few times I need air there.

Is there any reason that I couldn't use that tank for an airbrush?  In addition to a regulator, what else would be required?

TIA for your insights.

3 hours ago, cereal killer said:

Yes, you can use that. Don't forget the moisture trap/filter for the air brush.

Will the filter and moisture trap still be required if I'm already using same on my compressor?

1 hour ago, Southcoastphil said:

Will the filter and moisture trap still be required if I'm already using same on my compressor?

Moisture is inevitable when compressing air. Also, the filter/trap is not only there to filter out the moisture, it;s also there to filter out whatever dirt is inside of the portable tank. Although, I never did use a portable air tank, I do use a Nitrogen tank(use it for work) I never have to worry about moisture, just dirt/minute particles. 

But really, just for air brushing lures, I wouldn't worry. Relax don't over think it and just go to town. Everything you need to know about building plugs is on here!!!!! Do searches. Read the posts by the old builders/masters. This site and YouTube will give you most of the information you need!

And don't forget to posts pics of your builds. We love plug pics!

fliter.jpeg

Thanks @cereal killer for the tips.  You're indeed correct in that there's a wealth of knowledge here.  I've spent hundreds of hours reading helpful posts by savvy guys--including, but not limited to, Jig Man, Steel Pulse, stripercrazy, l.i.fish.in.vt, Capesam, bassmaster, wvbud, Ed White, bassmaster, Sudsy, guzz, Benny Raw, Black Talon, lonellr, Mike Fixter, Winch, and so many more--going back some 15 years or more in some cases.  

All of the active members have been super helpful in answering my seemingly-incessant questions over the last four or five years, for which I remain grateful.  Some have become very good friends.

As many folks here know, I'm not a builder.  I futz around with all kinds of plugs, some I butcher, others I rescue/re-imagine with everything from sanding to wiring to rattle canning to dressing with nail polish to reweighting.

I enjoy it, crude as it might be compared to others' work showcased here.

13 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Ya gonna need some sort of regulator between the tank and air brush to keep ya around 20lbs.. they also have ones that go from 3/8 in  to 1/4” out 

Yep, regulator is a must have.  Are most airbrush lines 1/4"?

If you do go to a remote compressor, a long air line is always better than a long extension cord.  Bought a Harbor Frt small unit and it is very quiet, I think it was about 170