Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Sept 19 - Sept 26

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. The sharing benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and our local waters.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal unit, making it easy to access, view and add your own reports.  

This is the third year with this kind of approach. Last year was great participation. 

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know if the bite is good or is it not worth fishing at all.

Fresh, factual information is the best Intel source we have today at our disposal. 

The weather for the next four days is atrocious with high winds and large surf, some predicted as 9 feet Sunday.

It's a prolong period of days of at least five in a row of nasty seas.

That should surely stuff thing us. Who know if that will have an effect on hardtails and blow them out for the season.

Nothing this morning on the beaches, went exploring further up the bay further than I ever went hoping to find some action. What a beautiful body of water. No sign of fish.

Back to the beaches after some Ahi tuna tacos at Monahans. Water settled down, wind relaxed late afternoon, found some bait balls with a few fish on them, blues. One decent blitz with 24ish stripers. Hoping things hold up tomorrow morning, waves should be manageable.

I sure hope the albies come back.

Caught a few schoolies to the East on tonights outgoing. real picky.. Tried almost all my poppers and a white 6 inch talkin’ popper ended up being the ticket. Did have what looked like a good size fish go for a guppy once but couldn’t get it to come back for it or anything else I had in my bag.  

The good news is that I finally strung together consecutive trips of catching albies...the bad news was that this was accomplished with a total of one fish each day...

Somehow managed to get up early and go fish a tide at one of the albie spots. I never ever get skunked there in late September and I did today. Didn’t see anyone else hook up either. Moved to a different location for sundown and had schoolies on peanuts in front of me in the whitewater. Got a few on top water plugs. Surf was pretty big and the current was very strong, I would not have wanted to swim today. 

Fished a very short jetty Sunday morning and found a few albies and big blues mixed in. Despite the heavy winds and rough seas they were hungry. Bone epoxy did the trick. 

Buoy by Block is reading between 8.9 - 9.5'.  Anyone been out, and willing to share what it's looking like out there? Fishable and water still relatively clean? 

9 mins ago, Kooky said:

Buoy by Block is reading between 8.9 - 9.5'.  Anyone been out, and willing to share what it's looking like out there? Fishable and water still relatively clean? 

Was out late yesterday afternoon and was fishable.  I would give it a shot if you are able to go.    

1 hour ago, Kooky said:

Better today than tomorrow with the swell and wind.  Evening low water will be fish able without getting killed.

I’ve been on south-facing beaches, and the northerly winds are keeping things mostly fishable. The swells from the storm are large, but not having a wind-generated chop makes all the difference. 

Huge on Sandy point last night. Managed a few smalls and some really long ass casts. Had to leave because the beach was disappearing fast. Catching bass inches from Elephant Seals, lol

10 hours ago, fishinbill said:

I’ve been on south-facing beaches, and the northerly winds are keeping things mostly fishable. The swells from the storm are large, but not having a wind-generated chop makes all the difference. 

This was our experience as well.     Swells were big last night though and probably today.   We stayed in protected waters last night and got some blitzing schoolies.  

Fished yesterday afternoon in Gansett. The surf was huge and even the surfer dudes were not going out. Several spots I fished were clean though even though there was big water and NE winds. No birds working over schools of fish/bait any where I looked. I had one small fish for my efforts. The avenues were closed btw due to dangerous surf. Be careful