foxfai

Why isn't the Penn Spinfisher are a more popular reel among fisherman?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I recently dug out my old collections of spinfishers to service and there is pretty much nothing to them. Clean them up and grease them up and they are good to go. So simple compare to say.... the shimano baitrunner.

These things are like tanks too. Graphite body for light weight and strong enough to haul big bass.

I gotta say, why isn't a more popular reel among us? They can be had for about $40-60 depends on condition. Beats the craps that they sell at any walmart. Tho I don't see these in Walmart at all even at this price point.

Not quite sure why you say they aren’t popular. I myself have various sizes from

different generations. I think most people I fish with they too have them in their collection. They’ve always been good reels... 

I think the new spinfisher series is vastly improved over the old ones. The old 5500ss reels had pretty poor line lay which definitely wasn't up to standard for using braid, and a nasty habit of the bail snapping shut on a hard cast. That being said the Spinfisher V series and up seem to be great reels. I had one myself for some time and thought it was a very well made very nice reel.

WEAK and prone to fail anti reverse on the older 4400-5500 ss models. Striped a main gear on a 4500 v model among a myriad of other issues. Won't be buying any more of the cheaper penn models. 

About 6 years ago my garage was broken into and all my rods and reels were stolen, many greenies and older spinfisher of all sizes.  About 30 reels and 20 some rods.  To get fishing again without taking out a loan I first bought 2 each bear mint condition used 550SS, 750SS spinfishers and 2 980 conventional reels.  All from 1980s  Didn’t pay more than $100 for any of them.  For bait fishing they can’t be beat especially with Fireline original fused line, mono on the conventional.  Never had a problem with bail closing or anti-reverse not working and they are made with much better materials than newer reels at that price.  They are heavy and I since got a couple shimanos for casting lures.  I think the older spinfisher definately have a place and for new surf fisherman they are a good choice to get a quality reel that can last a lifetime for  cheap. 

They aren't?  I think past the 5k range they're outclassed by the 'Gosa in sealing and drag but I can't think of a reel with better sealing in the 2500-4500 range for inshore wading and kayaking.

If your talking about the ssg, they were popular. Made in America.  That was one of the reels I cut my teeth with. They handled braid poorly tho. 

Still use a small one I use from time to time for freshwater.

Honestly as far as affordable reel for a beginner. The ss series would be a good choice.  Easy to fix too.

42 mins ago, sea jay said:

Penn reels are handed down from generation to generation, they are easy to work on, parts are plentiful & cheap too!

They were when they were green and made in Philadelphia.  Now, not so much.

I've got Penns from the 1960s and 1970s that I still use and are still going strong.  I had a much newer black Penn made somewhere in the western Pacific that decided to die--main gear issue--after a few years of low-stress use, catching weakfish and small blues on 8-pound.

Maybe the newest are better, but once trust is lost, it's difficult to go back.

22 mins ago, JimJ said:

550SS, 750SS spinfishers and 2 980 conventional reels.  All from 1980s  Didn’t pay more than $100 for any of them.  For bait fishing they can’t be beat especially with Fireline original fused line, mono on the conventional.

These reels where some of the best reels that Penn had made ( other than greenes ) l fished them all from and still have them 430 / 450 / 550 / 650ss reels, gears as big as VS reels, and made the same way spiral bevel gears.

As for line lay they were so/so they could of just change one part and it would have made the reel braid friendly and that part would have been the traverse arm from straight slot to S shape that simple.

25 years ago l use to do a super mod. for these reels from the 450ss to the 650ss l never used reels bigger for the surf, from double dogging to adding a pinion support sleeve to pinion and pinion support bushing to housing not going into every detail pictures pretty much show what l did and

Check out the main gears early gears some were steel then brass then alum. then they went to 4500 / 5500 / 6500ss and so on these reels were junk compared to the metal body reels.

These reels where easy to survives l always carryed 3 bearings 1 pinion and 2 main gear bearing with me on long surf fishing trips these reels were not water proof and the would go under once in a while.

DSCF1185.JPG.882ac57661d08f4371d583733c9294f4.JPG

Line bore guide bushing and reamer

DSCF1191.JPG.3c81e9fc148893efd701c926d2f96010.JPG

Ready to line bore housing

DSCF1193.JPG.8b8fb6e0364cbf10f68111fe250c4041.JPG

Pinion support bushing pressed in housing and pinion support sleeve pressed into the pinion

DSCF1190.JPG.b3f8fef65f5b501cffdf8026cea7b663.JPG

Complet ready for reassembly 

DSCF1189.JPG.cbd392c58e8edb8e5b536c05fba3d1d2.JPG

Home made pinion support pushing in housing

DSCF1186.JPG.6b68d4feb0f8dc372fcd2ad76959e446.JPG

An other view bushing

DSCF1188.JPG.94c4420d8fc9a3fbe021e6855901b607.JPG  

Once all this is done to the reel the rotor will never wobble again because the pinion is supported in two places, that was one of the faults of this reel pinion would wear out.