Sevendust111

When does the fall run hit the Bayshore surf?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I know there is no specific answer to this but how about the last few years? I know some guys keep fishing logs (gonna start my own this fall). I am specifically asking about the western half of the Bayshore, more towards the river. Just tryin to get my 7yo into some good schoolie day bites like we did in the spring. Don’t want to start too early and have him get discouraged.
Edited by Sevendust111

Its happening as we speak. As soon as you hear the bait migration out of back waters then its late. You gotta be there to see it happening and cash in on it. Fish been moving for a few weeks now. Won't be long when its all out front. Just a matter that they will come in close enough. Good luck and hope to see you out there.

1 hour ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Its happening as we speak. As soon as you hear the bait migration out of back waters then its late. You gotta be there to see it happening and cash in on it. Fish been moving for a few weeks now. Won't be long when its all out front. Just a matter that they will come in close enough. Good luck and hope to see you out there.

Dang maybe that's why I never catch much in the fall. The water temps don't really get into range for another month so I didn't really expect the migration to begin already and it's funny because I always wonder why the mullet run is a big deal when the water is 75 degrees still but maybe I'll get out there next weekend

The easterly blow which started last weekend and the new moon which caused higher than normal tides both were the driving forces to  kick it off by getting the mullet and other bait to begin moving out of the rivers and back bays. Hopefully toward the end of September it will calm down with steady westerly winds which can bring some nice action.  But as we all know, the weather is unpredictable and erratic which inevitably will challenge the skills of any surf caster.  I hope for blue bird days with light westerly winds for you and the 7yo!

5 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Start of the fall run is more about the moon and length of days than the temps

Id go so far as to say that water temps are the least important factor in a fall run.  

Shoot really? I thought it would be least another week or two. I don’t have a log but I kinda do through pics and I know I was catching schoolies(not a ton though) in Nov. last year. My best day was the first week in Nov in awful weather.

So the mullet run is partly the indicator? What specifically about the moon or length of day? I have been checking the reports and also some local bait shops fb/gram pages and I haven’t really seen any pics. Figured people posting that they are fishing out back NMoCo were at places like the bay side of the Hook or the Navesink.

The RB surf is heavily depend on tide (but I do know some places that still produce closer to low), and I can only get out late afternoon to early evening. The tide won’t be high in the evening until next Mon. That can’t be too late right? What should I use for bait? I was thinking worms or mullet. Maybe one rod with each. 

Sorry about all the questions but it sounds like I need to get on this a soon a possible. 

Edited by Sevendust111

In my opinion having fished bayshore for years theres 2 fall seasons. There is the mullet run which can last 10 to 20 days. Some days theres day feeds, but they are few and far between, but its mostly night. Typically you see that run start sept 10th and maybe go to october 1 if we are lucky. Than the real waves comes through 2nd to 3rd week of october where you get the true fall migration run. Again, there are always exceptions to the rule. but that pattern has been in place for a few years at least for me.  

Edited by joefishnj21

8 hours ago, joefishnj21 said:

In my opinion having fished bayshore for years theres 2 fall seasons. There is the mullet run which can last 10 to 20 days. Some days theres day feeds, but they are few and far between, but its mostly night. Typically you see that run start sept 10th and maybe go to october 1 if we are lucky. Than the real waves comes through 2nd to 3rd week of october where you get the true fall migration run. Again, there are always exceptions to the rule. but that pattern has been in place for a few years at least for me.  

That is what I thought. I know you have a boat but have you had success the last few seasons from the surf in Oct?

16 mins ago, Sevendust111 said:

That is what I thought. I know you have a boat but have you had success the last few seasons from the surf in Oct?

Hell yeh. Some days better than others. Im a bayshore guy thru and thru. I go to my usual haunts probably 4 days a week starting in october. Put in the work and time, u usually get rewarded. That being said, for me personally, this start of the mullet run has been rather dissapointing. Every year is different tho. Im a later afternoon into dusk and dawn guy. Some guys who do the night shift might be killen it right now for all i know. 

Edited by joefishnj21

The Bayshore area is fist to get fish in the spring and the last to lose them in the fall/winter. Unless conditions become prohibitive, (water temps under 44) you'll have bass through X-Mas to entertain you. Fall run usually begins shortly after Labor Day with the mullet run and continues on. For day bites, peanut bunker are slaughtered by the hour, you hope for sand eels and NW winds for a night meal. 

I disagree about water temps not being a factor, bait fish move as the waters cool. Shorter days do mean longer nights and as bass are nocturnal, fishing usually improves. Despite many boaters opinions and others wishes, by nature its a night game and much easier to move around and find fish on the feed in the dark hours.

Although moon phases are important, I believe they are less of a factor in the fall, fish are migrating regardless and moon phase seems to be of less importance. I don't put much faith in logs either, I have logs going back to 1979, records show more fish taken on the quarter moon phases than the new or full moons which contradict the popular opinions on best fishing moons. And I didn't just fish occasionally, it was a daily effort .

Same as tides, my records show more fish taken a dropping tide, most experts and water cooler talk prefer the last 2 hours of incoming. You want wind, supposedly in NJ you want NE winds outfront, I'll agree they might trigger a  chew that comes out of the blue, but give me NW winds anytime over the NE blows which in most cases means nasty conditions, including getting soaked and fishing dirty waters. 

Best advice, fish when you can and want and pay little attention to the details, if you become overcome with waiting for the right conditions, you'll fish about 12 days a year.

Right now, I've been in OBX for 8 days and another 7 to go, seas are 10-12 ft. winds are howling and haven't wet a line yet and it doesn't appear like it will happen this week either. Sometimes a plan just doesn't work out, live with it.