Big Ass Ray

Rate this topic

connman

Zafisher  @ZAFisher posted this in another thread, didn’t want to derail that one but think this fish is worthy of more information. Z what was the estimated size, the head looks enormous? More info please . And no discussion if this fish is in or out of the water as it’s clearly 50%.

216492B5-0135-4F6F-AE63-F89B7AB97318.jpeg

Angler is a good friend of mine - he is at skill level Ninja when it comes to targeting enormous fish

It's a Short Tailed Stingray.

Weight estimate is 500lb (based on measurements taken - there is an App called fishweights for those interested

Fish was taken from shore; bait was cast, not kayaked out

Reel: Makaira 30000 (was one of the 1st samples sent out for testing here in SA)

Rod: 14'6" 6-8oz Makaira. .

It was indeed lipped.

It was not flipped over to make getting the hook out easier (never flip a ray over, esp at this size as their weight can crush internal organs and never stick your fingers in a ray's spiracles

5 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Angler is a good friend of mine - he is at skill level Ninja when it comes to targeting enormous fish

It's a Short Tailed Stingray.

Weight estimate is 500lb (based on measurements taken - there is an App called fishweights for those interested

Fish was taken from shore; bait was cast, not kayaked out

Reel: Makaira 30000 (was one of the 1st samples sent out for testing here in SA)

Rod: 14'6" 6-8oz Makaira. .

It was indeed lipped.

It was not flipped over to make getting the hook out easier (never flip a ray over, esp at this size as their weight can crush internal organs and never stick your fingers in a ray's spiracles

I had no idea that you should not flip them over.  We do it here on Long Island all the time.  They always swim away looking strong but I hope I haven't hurt any along the way.  The largest ones I've caught were about 100 lbs.  Very small by comparison.