WoodyCT

Beach Permits - Online application??

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Planned to go to Burlingame tomorrow for my pass, but the CRMC web site says applications are now done online and we need to schedule an inspection in Wakefield.

Can we no longer drive into Burlingame and get the pass on the spot?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I drove to Burlingame last week and got in a few minutes. The girl in the office was very friendly and helpful.You have to pay by check or money order. They won't accept cash or credit cards.Also her office closed at noon that day.

Edited by G.S.Mayka

This is the last weekend burlingame is open to get a pass Sunday will be till 8 pm

I think they will be there part of monday as well

20201010_174116.jpg

Edited by riggler

Why do they care so much about 4-low? I’ve been driving on beaches for 20 years and never once shifted into 4-low. It’s not rock crawling. Just air down sufficiently and drive.

14 hours ago, z-man said:

Why do they care so much about 4-low? I’ve been driving on beaches for 20 years and never once shifted into 4-low. It’s not rock crawling. Just air down sufficiently and drive.

It's not rock crawling but it's not street driving or desert racing either. Every beach and vehicle is different of course, but on the beaches I drive on nobody should be doing more than 15 mph or so, and the sand can be very soft and deep with big hills so there's no reason to be in high range. Low range will take the load off the transmission/clutch and build up less heat. We've always said low and slow. Low tires, low range and taking it easy will do a lot less damage to the beach and your drivetrain. Maybe give it a shot sometime. But this is only coming from 30+ years experience that learned from my father with 50+ years experience. :th:

Edited by Beachdrivin

50 mins ago, Beachdrivin said:

It's not rock crawling but it's not street driving or desert racing either. Every beach and vehicle is different of course, but on the beaches I drive on nobody should be doing more than 15 mph or so, and the sand can be very soft and deep with big hills so there's no reason to be in high range. Low range will take the load off the transmission/clutch and build up less heat. We've always said low and slow. Low tires, low range and taking it easy will do a lot less damage to the beach and your drivetrain. Maybe give it a shot sometime. But this is only coming from 30+ years experience that learned from my father with 50+ years experience. :th:

There are times that the beach is like pavement, and 4wd high works well, but there are places i go where the sand is always soft and deep, low range is your friend.

Using 4 lo is always easier on the drivetrain and the added revs also allow the cooling and charging systems to work better, and in low range your foot off the throttle will slow things down without ever touching the brakes.

48 mins ago, riggler said:

There are times that the beach is like pavement, and 4wd high works well, but there are places i go where the sand is always soft and deep, low range is your friend.

Using 4 lo is always easier on the drivetrain and the added revs also allow the cooling and charging systems to work better, and in low range your foot off the throttle will slow things down without ever touching the brakes.

One other point, and the reason the club might require it, is safety. So far I've been able to avoid situations requiring a tug. But stuff happens and things change quickly on the beach. If I ever got myself in a jam.. say night time, trying to leave, down by the water, winds change, tide coming in, only one other person left on the beach. I'm gonna be praying that guy (or gal) isn't driving a Kia. We've had to get people out of some scary situations. 

3 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Funny because I see a Honda Pilot cruising out there all the time.

Saw this out on race point this year. Wish I could have watched it go down the trail.

20201012_172024.jpg

4 hours ago, Beachdrivin said:

Saw this out on race point this year. Wish I could have watched it go down the trail.

20201012_172024.jpg

That guy parked next to me one day. No 4-low in that rig. 
:point:

6F5B0FF5-F261-43D9-B89F-FA42D1A120B6.jpeg

B378C4F6-19F4-4746-A05C-3464F0BD41EE.jpeg