Jim in WA

Anyone else turning plugs for salmon or trout?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Just curious if anyone else out west was turning their own plugs. So many of our old favorites have been bought out by the major commercial plug manufacturers. The result is they are no longer on the market. If they are a good number have “been improved”. Quite frankly they suck. (New Lymons for example)

Anyhow I was just wondering if I had fellow travelers on my journey to restock the tackle box. Like Lucky Louie’s etc.

Old style Lymon, Lucky Louie, and Big Jack patterns. A Point Special could also be made. All of these originally were made from wood. They are similar but different in cross section shape,Dia. and length. They also varied a little bit due to sanding during manufacturing. I had to make a few and test until I found what works best.

The Lymon was the only one running attached hooks. The Lucky Louie ran  a bead chain to the hook through the plug and Big Jacks run the main line through the plug to a swivel/single hook. 

I did an image search and looked at those salmon lures. Are they weighted with lead, or does their shape, line tie position, and hooks keep them from flipping over? I'm guessing, by the shape, they were lively...is that correct?

Anyhow, good luck on your endeavor, looking forward to seeing your lures

No the plugs are not weighted. However location of through hole will change action greatly. Best example of this is the Point special. That one had different holes for changing the action.

while the face contours vary (this one uses a 2” radius),they are basically a 45 degree face cut, then drill the hole for the leader 45 degrees the opposite direction.

94C6EA83-B8C4-4B88-9149-B1F29DDA6228.jpeg

53220B61-CC57-4B31-AD8E-071D01ECA6F3.jpeg

2EAA17F6-2445-4050-AAC1-B6A7CA77EAEF.jpeg

52 mins ago, Jim in WA said:

No the plugs are not weighted. However location of through hole will change action greatly. Best example of this is the Point special. That one had different holes for changing the action.

while the face contours vary (this one uses a 2” radius),they are basically a 45 degree face cut, then drill the hole for the leader 45 degrees the opposite direction.

94C6EA83-B8C4-4B88-9149-B1F29DDA6228.jpeg

53220B61-CC57-4B31-AD8E-071D01ECA6F3.jpeg

2EAA17F6-2445-4050-AAC1-B6A7CA77EAEF.jpeg

What is the swimming action on theses plugs is it more of a darting or swimming action?

Outstanding work.

Do you lathe them right down to the tapered tail, or is the end of the tail a material other than wood?

(And) how do you shape the face? (a ball rasp bit?)

I like how you're re-creating the lures of the past

Posted (edited) · Report post

They swim. I taper the tail on the lathe. I saw the face as a 45 degree on my bandsaw then finish with a vertical drum sander.

I am currently making a jig to hold the plugs when they are sawn, sanded, and drilled. I have done a few by hand but I think they vary too much.

7A173CD9-D546-4EEF-B1BB-D5D317F3F04F.jpeg

A84CE096-AD2B-436B-A617-D3E5E9E3CBA9.jpeg

B8D60523-2232-43DA-8A01-CB8E53DEE32C.jpeg

Edited by Jim in WA

Are these all variations on J-plugs?  I used them on a handful of salmon charters I did a long time ago. 

Is it practical to drill an angled hole with a Forstner bit to make the face when the blank is square and then turn it?

I played around with several methods. Holding it in a jig at 45 degrees and drilling after the initial face cut (while it’s still a flat surface), seems to give the best results. 
I am not sure what the original manufacturer of this type was but they are all similar.