gimbap1707

Shore fishing for weakfish?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone still tries for weakfish from shore, given that their numbers have significantly dropped compared to the past. I'm pretty clueless about weakfish- is it worth it to try and jig for them around bridges/anywhere with current? All I know is that they prefer darkness and have a liking to pink soft plastics. Fluke season isn't over yet and I can't catch a striper for my life, so I thought I'd better my chances by going for what whatever else is out there. 

The problem is not to hook them; the problem is to beach them on the moving surf. There's a reason they are called weakfish. I was targeting them for several weeks this summer, had my best season ever with a bunch of keepers in the the mix, but I am sure I dropped two-three times as many as I landed. I used all kinds of techniques but they were still falling off. :banghd:

Maybe lighter rod, mono rather than braid, light drag would help. I have never caught a weakfish. But one time I was on a charter and weaks were coming over the rail I couldn't keep one on. my gear was a pretty stiff boat rod with Penn bait casting reel, 50 lb mono. Thats the way I learned (for blues) but I think it caused the hook to tear out too often. That was in Delaware Bay many moons ago. But check John Skinners UTube video on them. He's caught some real tide runners!

1 hour ago, Rough said:

The problem is not to hook them; the problem is to beach them on the moving surf. There's a reason they are called weakfish. I was targeting them for several weeks this summer, had my best season ever with a bunch of keepers in the the mix, but I am sure I dropped two-three times as many as I landed. I used all kinds of techniques but they were still falling off. :banghd:

Moderate to slow action rod helps a lot.

The guys dock fishing in LIS for porgy /fluke caught quite a few in the last month. They are really making a comeback.