Bendmar18

T-14 Attachment

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I bought 30 feet of T-14 and am going to use it to fish deeper water (30-40 feet) My question is what length do I cut it to? Can I attach it to a line that already has a sinking tip on it? I've heard some people just attach it to a running line? If I did that would I just reverse my fly line? I'm personally looking to add it to a 300 grain density compensated line that has a 26 foot sink tip shooting head (4.5ips). Any help would be appreciated :)

Edited by Bendmar18

I suggest you go back to that other thread that has the Calico Syndicate video.  Watch the entire video as it explains 95% of what you are asking now.  While you could reverse your existing line it would make more sense to find a used integrated sink tip line and cut ~2/3 of the front sinking head off.  Then follow the advice in the video to attach the T-14.  The last part of your post (2nd to last sentence) doesn't really make sense to me.  You probably won't need all of the 26ft head, but the xact amount would vary on the head's taper and your total grain target.  Watch the video all the way through and pay attention this time and I think you will have most or 100% of your answer.  Total head length and weight probably has to match the rod's length and grain window, so I'd first determine how many total grains it can throw.  Then back calculate how much of the sink tip % to leave on the used integrated sink tip line and how much (weight and length) of T-14 or whatever.

The line they are adding the sink tip material to in the video is an integrated sink tip (full line) with the head portion cut back leaving around 1/3 of the old head portion (8-10').  That's the part you must have missed.

Also you need to consider the diameter of the two sinking line segments at the join.  Need to be similar in diameter and (it helps) stiffness or the final line will hinge.

Edited by Killiefish

Sending you an example calculation.  Those C-bass guys tried many different combinations of lines and lengths to get the solution for their rods, objectives, and casting abilities.  So your mileage (solution) may vary.

I use the T-14 and 17 on a two handed rod with a braided running line as well and I really love it for my use. 

For a T-14, it will be a total of 420 grain (14 grain per foot at 30 feet), 510 for T-17. Personally, I wouldn’t want to cut it or I’d cut it into equal amounts to maximize what you get, but I also do

use a two handed rod. What weight are you using? What grain weight is the rod rated to load? Once you figure that out, I’d probably do the math to figure out the exact feet to work best for your rod/ rod weight and take the line that you’re affixing it to into consideration. 

Edited by Ftyer

So I will be using an 8wt TFO BVK. I have seen opinion from people with ranges of 225 - 375. Right now I have a 300 grain and I was thinking to add to it. Did you just attach your T-14 to a running line? Also, I just purchased T-14 and the 30 foot section was split in half so its 2- 15 foot section. I mean I guess I could splice them together....

Sorry, gave slightly wrong advice because your initial post didn't mention that the integrated line has a "density compensated" sink tip of 26ft.  It may actually have a total head length of over 40ft and may work reasonably well for your purposes as is. Making it significantly longer and heavier by simply adding tungsten I'd think you would have big problems casting it, especially on that particular rod.

Edited by Killiefish

22 hours ago, Bendmar18 said:

So I will be using an 8wt TFO BVK. I have seen opinion from people with ranges of 225 - 375. Right now I have a 300 grain and I was thinking to add to it. Did you just attach your T-14 to a running line? Also, I just purchased T-14 and the 30 foot section was split in half so its 2- 15 foot section. I mean I guess I could splice them together....

I attached mine to SA’s braided mono .032 shooting line. It’s good stuff. 

If you were to add to a 300 grain head, I’m thinking you’d want between 5-5.5 feet of the T-14 as that should get you relatively close to the 375 cutoff. However, all rods are different, everyone’s cast is different, and everyone’s rod reacts differently to their own cast so I’d take it into a grass field and just mess around until you find what works for you. 

Attach it to whatever running line you prefer (not adding it to the head of your current line).

Airflo makes some nice intermediate running lines.

I personally liked braided mono loops for attaching the heads on shooting head systems. YMMV....

Properly installed I’ve never had one fail.

Start with 30’ and cut the head back one foot at a time until you get the head length dialed in for your rod.

SF

Edited by Stonefish

On 9/20/2020 at 4:06 AM, Stonefish said:

Attach it to whatever running line you prefer (not adding it to the head of your current line).

Airflo makes some nice intermediate running lines.

I personally liked braided mono loops for attaching the heads on shooting head systems. YMMV....

Properly installed I’ve never had one fail.

Start with 30’ and cut the head back one foot at a time until you get the head length dialed in for your rod.

SF

This is great advice, and makes good sense, provided that the 30ft T-material is still in one piece.  Unfortunately for the OP, the seller cut it in half.   :eek:

There are a number of West Coast fishermen who use customized lengths (generally 26-28ft) of T-14 on their powerful 8wts.  Striper guys in the S.F. Bay Delta are particularly fond of that approach.  Can reach mid depths fishing from boats with weighted flies and that set-up, and the stronger rods (8's that are really 9s) can easily handle it. 

The OP though was trying to also maximize sink rate further and had heard you could accomplish this with a seriously overweight (sic*) line system.  Unfortunately, the "solution" to that also required a longer single length of T-14 added to a cut back int/sink line, with the int sink line used mainly as a running line but keeping a transitional piece of the sink portion to join to the T-14.  An elegant solution, if beastly in terms of overall grain weight, but not possible with the two parts that the OP procured.

(sic, above, NB) It's not the weight that really increases sink speed but the density.  So, the OP should keep the 300g density compensated line he has intact and try that first.  If it doesn't get deep enough, by waiting it out, he has other recommended options to pursue, all of which cost more $$$.

Sorry, must have missed the part about the head being cut in half.

That said, the shooting head system I described has worked well for me in a number of west coast fishing locations and I think would work on the east coast as well.

SF

By the way, the line the OP has is density compensated and sinks at between 6 and 7 inches per second.  Cutting it back would reduce the sink rate a bit, because the line also, based on the specs, has a thick, heavy portion of intermediate material in the rear portion of the head (from 26ft to 40ft back).  This integrated line is already optimized for sinking at 6-7"/sec.  It is quite possible that the first 30ft of the overall 40-42ft head is already closer to 330g because of 4ft of that material (added to 26ft sink tip portion).  The full 40-42ft head is possibly closer to 400g in total weight (my estimate, using ~8 grains per foot of the thick intermed portion).

28ft of T-14 which is probably close to maximum that the BVK should be able to handle on a thin running line would get the sink rate up to 8-9" per sec.  The casting of such a heavy but level line (390g @ 28ft or 420g if all 30' of T-14 are used) on that rod won't be any fun.

So there's no real incentive for the OP to do anything but try the existing line, or purchase another full 30ft length of T-14 and do what Stonefish suggests -- if an 8-9" sec sink rate is needed, as opposed to 6-7" sec.

A new full length 30ft of T-14 will cost around $30.00 and a decent braided (e.g. Airflo Miracle) running line can be found for around the same or a bit more.

Edited by Killiefish

As stated above, you won't be able to add more than about 5 ft of it to a 300 grain line. If you want to make your current line sink quicker you'd do better to get a short versi-tip like those used on Skagit lines.

If you really want to get 30 feet or more deep, what you should do is this: Get mono running line or a sinking PVC running line. Braided running line floats, so that's not what you want. Let's imagine you let the 30 ft head sink completely on a braided running life--you'll have a hinge, which will mean you have little contact with the fly. I have had a great time with Whisker Seeker, a kind of co-poly mono designed for catfish. It does not stretch as much as other mono running lines I have tried. If you are getting serious about fishing deep I would consider getting a heavier rod. 10 wt is a much more useful all-around rod for salt, given wind and big flies.

I posted a thread about this earlier in the summer: