BathtubGin

Reading the Beach/Where's the Bar?

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

I've been watching a lot of John Skinner's videos and have read some book and articles on reading the beach...

But I can't seem to actually apply any of that information! I live in Southern Maine. I've been fishing the beaches in Wells, All along OOB, Pine Point, Kennebunkport... Is it possible that those beaches don't have Bars like the beaches on Long Island? Are "bars" characteristic of all beaches? It doesn't seem like beaches I mentioned have much sand structure at all... 

I still can catch fish every now and then - but I'm not as confident as when I go out in Casco Bay or near an inlet or river. And when I catch fish - it's total dumb luck that I found them.

It sounds like I should be seeing waves out in the distance crashing - but the only waves I see crashing are right near the shore... Am I missing something here?

Beaches with very little structure do exist. I'd go to your spot during low tide and a moderate onshore wind, and see if  you can make out anything. If you can't in those conditions, then you probably aren't missing anything.

25 mins ago, BathtubGin said:

I've been watching a lot of John Skinner's videos and have read some book and articles on reading the beach...

But I can't seem to actually apply any of that information! I live in Southern Maine. I've been fishing the beaches in Wells, All along OOB, Pine Point, Kennebunkport... Is it possible that those beaches don't have Bars like the beaches on Long Island? Are "bars" characteristic of all beaches? It doesn't seem like beaches I mentioned have much sand structure at all... 

I still can catch fish every now and then - but I'm not as confident as when I go out in Casco Bay or near an inlet or river. And when I catch fish - it's total dumb luck that I found them.

It sounds like I should be seeing waves out in the distance crashing - but the only waves I see crashing are right near the shore... Am I missing something here?

If it were me I'd fish off the rocks into deep water in Maine. Wear korkers.

No, you are not missing something except structure.

Your area more than likely doesn’t have sand bars, maybe mud bottom?

Here on the Island sand bars are high spots that force a wave or swell to crest or break on the other side of the bar were the water gets deeper again.

This can occur several times on our open beeches depending on the stage of tide.

Seems to me your area is missing those high spots.

Areas to fish would be where the waves crest/crash with in casting distance and the shore line.

Hopefully not an issue to post on here as I think they may have been here in the past, but Rich Troxler made a great series of videos for reading the beach:

34 mins ago, RAW said:

There are bars, you need to find them. Their exposure can change. But they are here

Great - and I see you are from Wells.. So I imagine you've fished Wells beach and can confirm that they are, in fact, there? That's helpful! How far out do you think they are?

1 min ago, putty said:

Hopefully not an issue to post on here as I think they may have been here in the past, but Rich Troxler made a great series of videos for reading the beach:

Yes! This was one of the videos that I've watched. I just don't see a lot of that structure at beaches like Wells Beach or OOB in Maine.

1 hour ago, Reed422 said:

If it were me I'd fish off the rocks into deep water in Maine. Wear korkers.

Yeah - I like the variety... Beaches, Bays, Rivers, Rocks.... 

33 mins ago, RAW said:

There are bars, you need to find them. Their exposure can change. But they are here

May be right, I dunno.

But a thought occurs... I would go out at a dead low tide and past what you may be able to see,...

Clip on a plug ( bomber ) that will run maybe a foot deep and throw that out running it back hard til ya hit the bottom. Then see if it gets deep again before yer feet.

In this way you can gauge the depth of the water and the approximate distance of any structure, from a normal ( not dead low ) spot on the beach. 

I've used this technique more than once on flat water nights in unfamiliar territory. 

You are fishing a rocky coast line, quite a bit different from sandy beaches.  If you go during the day around low tide, you can see where the deep waters are, rock, ledges ( darker color water ) channel... etc.  Remember their relative position to the rocks you are standing on.  Unlike sandy beaches, they rarely change.

5 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

May be right, I dunno.

But a thought occurs... I would go out at a dead low tide and past what you may be able to see,...

Clip on a plug ( bomber ) that will run maybe a foot deep and throw that out running it back hard til ya hit the bottom. Then see if it gets deep again before yer feet.

In this way you can gauge the depth of the water and the approximate distance of any structure, from a normal ( not dead low ) spot on the beach. 

I've used this technique more than once on flat water nights in unfamiliar territory. 

I'll try that. Thanks.

1 min ago, hobobob said:

You are fishing a rocky coast line, quite a bit different from sandy beaches.  If you go during the day around low tide, you can see where the deep waters are, rock, ledges ( darker color water ) channel... etc.  Remember their relative position to the rocks you are standing on.  Unlike sandy beaches, they rarely change.

Yes - although most of the coast is rocky - the specific areas I mentioned are open sand beaches with few rocks. There are a few really nice beaches in Southern Maine. It's pretty relaxing to be fishing on a nice sand beach.

19 mins ago, BathtubGin said:

Yeah - I like the variety... Beaches, Bays, Rivers, Rocks.... 

I hear you. My days of fishing relaxing spots are less these days. I'm looking for a big fish, which obviously you can catch from the beach but it's much harder imo.

1 min ago, Reed422 said:

I hear you. My days of fishing relaxing spots are less these days. I'm looking for a big fish, which obviously you can catch from the beach but it's much harder imo.

I'm just a beginner... So confidently catching, navigating different settings, and being able to match lures to situations is my goal!