youngc

refurbing ceiling tiles

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

my five-year basement project is progressing slowly and I'm looking at lighting and ceiling. would like to reuse the existing ceiling tiles but have a question: can I paint over the tiles with regular latex paint to get them looking fresh? overall, I don't think they're in bad shape but of course over time some have become stained or discolored. planing on painting the metal grid too since it's also dulled and rusted in spots. 

Edited by youngc

I’ve rolled the tiles, and sprayed the grids before with good results. Used a 1/4 nap roller to keep a smoothie look, pay attention when you put the tiles back in. Most are directional.

9 hours ago, mybeach said:

I would consider spraying both. 

unfortunately, I already finished the walls and the grid is nailed to the walls. in hindsight, though, woulda/shoulda done it before I sprayed the walls. 

Painting the grids by hand isn't so bad. But if you really want to spiff the place up, try replacing the tiles with "tin ceiling" pattern plastic. About $2/ft

5f6907b10671f_PAL2Kitchentowindows.jpg.355b129f7a3e25c27eb3e3336fc284cf.jpg

They rolled our grids and tile before we moved into our current building 15 years ago with cheap ace latex paint.  They were already 10 years old at that point.  Paint has held up great.