Buckscorider

Old bamboo rod with reel

9 posts in this topic

Hang it on the wall, memories. Probably 40's or so. Double guides and tulip tip are so when the rod takes a set (bend) you flip that section over.

H-I was a sporting goods store in Boston years ago.

You could hang it over the fireplace but if you stay out late some night you don't want yer wife to beat you with it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I thought H-I was Horrocks Ibbotson out of Utica, NY.  

clipped from the net…. Decals are useful 
for dating Horrocks-Ibbotson rods. The diamond with the UTK logo dates from 1905 
until World War I. This logo is usually stamped into the reel seat, but also 
appears as a decal. The Trout logo decal was then used until 1929. It is rarely 
seen and is the most beautiful of the H-I decals. Next to appear was an 
elongated Double Diamond with Utica, NY inside; it was used until 1933. In 1934, 
a double-diamond logo including the banner reading Best by Test was introduced 
and was used until 1939. Next came the fanciest of all H-I decals featuring a 
bright red H-I on a white diamond and accompanied by two banners reading Fish 
Rod and Genuine Tonkin Cane. The decal of the early 1950's was rectangular with 
a small gold foil diamond logo. The final decal was a simple red diamond with a 
large white H-I. 

Edited by JohnDe

On 9/18/2020 at 0:33 PM, JohnDe said:

I thought H-I was Horrocks Ibbotson out of Utica, NY.  

clipped from the net…. Decals are useful 
for dating Horrocks-Ibbotson rods. The diamond with the UTK logo dates from 1905 
until World War I. This logo is usually stamped into the reel seat, but also 
appears as a decal. The Trout logo decal was then used until 1929. It is rarely 
seen and is the most beautiful of the H-I decals. Next to appear was an 
elongated Double Diamond with Utica, NY inside; it was used until 1933. In 1934, 
a double-diamond logo including the banner reading Best by Test was introduced 
and was used until 1939. Next came the fanciest of all H-I decals featuring a 
bright red H-I on a white diamond and accompanied by two banners reading Fish 
Rod and Genuine Tonkin Cane. The decal of the early 1950's was rectangular with 
a small gold foil diamond logo. The final decal was a simple red diamond with a 
large white H-I. 

Correct

Raymonds once had these rods by the hundreds sitting in Bins . This is a Boat rod typically used by the flounder fleet of that time as well as the cod and haddock, which were more than plentiful in and around Boston Harbor at the time The reel looks like an old ,what we called a knuckle buster. If it has not positive stop when retrieving the line you had to keep your hand on the handle so that it would not go backwards and once released you had to thumb it all the way down to the bottom. Peace and Prayers Does the reel have Hi on the reel seat?

H I as some said, They were great before glass if they did'nt dry out. Early tuna rods were cane. Sometimes Tonkin cane means pre - embargo, for fly rods was the best.

I have the sister rod to the one you show under the name of Sarasota It is a one Pieces Tonkin that I restored back in another time and If push came to shove would have no problem putting a modern day reel on it and useing it. It has plenty of life in it even after I purchased it so many years ago. The Sarasota has agite [glass rings ]in the metal frame Generally a nice red color Peace and Prtayers