Fishing-Addict

Can a Striped Bass plug handle GT or Tuna Fishing?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Recently had a discussion with a friend of my father who is a commercial pilot and we were talking about lures. He is primarily a tuna and GT fisherman and primarily fishes in Austraila where they use poppers for tuna. He mostly uses either custom stuff or Nomad lures like the Chug Norris 6 in. I never held a Nomad lure but I do know it is through wired. Would it be fair to say a striper lure like a Gibbs Proseries popper can handle a tuna? I have 4 oz proseries popper and it is a stout as hell. I would bet a gibbs, afterhours plug, or other quality builders plug could handle the abuse provided it is throughwired. Let me know your thoughts he invited me next summer with him and I want take some striper plugs to test. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

With good rings and hooks as long as it's through wired it'll work on tuna... You're only putting 30lbs of pressure on the fish maybe a tad more at most.. Even if they gain leverage it should hold up no problem.  

The issue comes with some baits the fishes surge pushes it out of the way of their mouth. 

No clue about gt.. And dogtooth tuna 

Edited by scoobydoo

1 hour ago, Saltfruit said:

Wouldn't tuna teeth be an issue? Stripers don't have anywhere close to tuna teeth.

I'd think any wood lure is susceptible to destruction with them.

I had 8 tuna with Mag Darter in Panama. They were 50 lb - 70 lb.

Posted (edited) · Report post

All depends on what size tuna.  Take your time, and you can land a 70lb Yellowfin on 30lb test (chunking), so yeah, a cheaper plug can handle a smaller tuna, no real problem.

But why chance it?  If you're going through all that effort and burning all that gas, why not use a real strong plug or jig with a quality hook when targeting Tuna?

**** Figures that the guy who sells top end plugs would give a thumbs down to this post.

Edited by JoeyZac

GT fishing with lures started with old Gibbs. Is this the best choice today absolutely not but i have landed some little GT under 10lbs on a 7/8oz screw in eye gibbs popper. 

Will they hold up sometimes yes and sometimes no. Any striper lure that is thru wire should be good up until a certain size fish. Most GT lures have a larger diameter thru wire and even some of those get destroyed. 

I’ve wondered this before as well.  As long as it’s through wired and has good quality hardware there’s no reason it wouldn’t hold up.  I asked a friend that throws plugs for bluefin.  He said that they’ve landed multiple schoolie bluefin (50-100#) on super strike little neck poppers without any damage to the plug.