Richard_the_Aughth

Mass trout stocking

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Typically they start stocking the last week in Sept in a "normal" year. That timing may or may not be affected by Covid. 

5 hours ago, ifishthebadspots said:

So what size fish do they release? How long until it becomes decent size?

Typically stocked fish are 12-16 inches with most Rainbows and Browns falling around 14 inches.  They're typically fattened up on hatchery pellets.

8 hours ago, ifishthebadspots said:

So what size fish do they release? How long until it becomes decent size?

Most if not all of these fish die off in the warmer months, especially in places like Jamaica pond. 

5 hours ago, fishBAD said:

Typically stocked fish are 12-16 inches with most Rainbows and Browns falling around 14 inches.  They're typically fattened up on hatchery pellets.

I had no idea! I thought they would release small fry and it would feed and grow in the lake. Does trout fishing here boil down to catching it in a few months window after it's stocked? And I was convinced I could catch trout any season...

2 hours ago, BosFlyfishing said:

Most if not all of these fish die off in the warmer months, especially in places like Jamaica pond. 

Are there places with year-round trout that could survive and procreate?

Just now, ifishthebadspots said:

survive yes but procreate very little. rainbows are sterile period end of story. any small rainbow caught is just a fry that got caught up in the truck. browns and brookies have "naturalized" in some streams and produce a little but not much.

2 mins ago, ifishthebadspots said:

There are, although you’d be hard pressed to find any around the city. Think cold/deep water 

1 hour ago, ifishthebadspots said:

I had no idea! I thought they would release small fry and it would feed and grow in the lake. Does trout fishing here boil down to catching it in a few months window after it's stocked? And I was convinced I could catch trout any season...

On the cape you can catch trout all season. This is esp true in kettle hole ponds and ponds with herring runs.

Tony Stezcko used to catch trophy browns and bookies all season.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, ifishthebadspots said:

I lived in metrowest and had 2 stocked lakes nearby. Ashland and Hopkington Res both those lakes were stocked spring and fall they even used to put salmon in Hopk. A lot of large holdovers. I would catch trout all seasons but winter I gave up on freezing. They do catch trout through the ice but it's mainly bass and pickerel.

Edited by littletunnie

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

On the cape you can catch trout all season. This is esp true in kettle hole ponds and ponds with herring runs.

Tony Stezcko used to catch trophy browns and bookies all season.

I didn't realize those stayed cold enough, that's good to know!

The Cape ponds have a Summer thermocline cooler layer about 30 feet down, and its only about 5-8 ft thick, but the trout hang there all Summer. 

The rest of the year they roam the whole lake. Some ponds are famous for State record holdovers.

These persistent Northerly winds are going to break up the thermocline soon.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Back  in my ice fishing days, I caught  beautiful trout from a certain upper cape pond that had an active herring run.  A limit each time out, often in under an hour.

This is esp the case with browns.  As browns grow old, they become almost exclusively nocturnal.  Spending most of their time in deep cold water, searching for food at night.  Those fish never get fished.  When have you seen anyone trout fishing in July or August on Cape Cod? When was the last time you saw anyone trout fishing at night?  You don't, they're all down the canal poaching. :laugh:

Edited by bob_G