Westport Tog

Rate this topic

jason colby

1 hour ago, IamFish said:

Anyone would like to share their favorite tog recipe? 
TIA

Captain Jason's Coconut Curry Fish

Prepare rice for 4 servings (I use top quality sushi rice grown in California).
Sauté one large onion and one 1/2 a diced pepper (red or green) in butter until soft.
Add one 12 ounce can of good quality, unsweetened coconut milk and 1/2 can of whole (or 2%) milk.
Add 2 heaping tablespoons of of yellow curry powder.
Add one can of drained sweet corn kernels
Add one tablespoon of pure honey, bring to a low simmer.
Add 1 1/2 pounds of fish cut into 3/4 inch cubes (blackfish, striped bass, salmon, swordfish or mahi)
Stir/cook five minutes (no more) and serve HOT.

Add hot sauce, salt, pepper as desired...

Captain Jason Colby
Little Sister Charters

2 hours ago, jason colby said:
Captain Jason's Coconut Curry Fish

Prepare rice for 4 servings (I use top quality sushi rice grown in California).
Sauté one large onion and one 1/2 a diced pepper (red or green) in butter until soft.
Add one 12 ounce can of good quality, unsweetened coconut milk and 1/2 can of whole (or 2%) milk.
Add 2 heaping tablespoons of of yellow curry powder.
Add one can of drained sweet corn kernels
Add one tablespoon of pure honey, bring to a low simmer.
Add 1 1/2 pounds of fish cut into 3/4 inch cubes (blackfish, striped bass, salmon, swordfish or mahi)
Stir/cook five minutes (no more) and serve HOT.

Add hot sauce, salt, pepper as desired...

Captain Jason Colby
Little Sister Charters

Sounds great, thanks Captain. 

6 hours ago, ifishthebadspots said:

Are these catchable off the shore? Where (roughly, no spot burns)  would one try to find them on and around the Cape?

You can park/walk out on Gooseberry Point. Lots of great shoreline there. Lots of people fish (with good success) right from the route 88 bridge and best of all, the rockpile on the west side of the river mouth has good tog as well as the west shoreline.

4 hours ago, 1ife said:

@jason colby

You ever try these?  I recall you did..  

Screenshot_20200926-231432_Chrome.jpg

No I did not. As you should remember, a lot of jigs have issues with hooks bending out. Also, I don't know if that big eye would scare a blackfish but it looks scary to me! The 3/4 ounce size might work for me though and I'm brave/stupid so I will check it out.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, jason colby said:

No I did not. As you should remember, a lot of jigs have issues with hooks bending out. Also, I don't know if that big eye would scare a blackfish but it looks scary to me! The 3/4 ounce size might work for me though and I'm brave/stupid so I will check it out.

Thank you!

Jason you need to come over and look at the jigs in those ranges made years ago with stainless steel hooks No bending out on fish of size.   You can apply your own color schemes on them     Peace and Prayers

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

6 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Jason you need to come over and look at the jigs in those ranges made years ago with stainless steel hooks No bending out on fish of size.   You can apply your own color schemes on them     Peace and Prayers

Hi Carl!

"At issue" is the lack of current in Westport when the fish are in shallow. I have to drop down to 3/4 ounce jigs usually and the hooks, except on "Tidal Tailz" (strong. fast hook that rarely bends out-I bend them all out eventually), are generally unacceptable. Yes, on larger sizes I can get better hooks but then I have several great hooks on some smaller jigs that simply are not "fast enough" for some of the lighter rods I often use.  With the jig fishing, there is a lot of balance/compromise going on and you can't always get it right. 

Today for example. I was seriously outfished by a standard bait rig because I could not get the timing down for coming tight. It happens and a different jig/hook would not have helped, it was all in the manner of how the fish were picking the thing (jig/crab) up today...

Jason