jason colby

Westport Tog

Rate this topic

89 posts in this topic

With the rec season closed for sea bass (except for charter boats), it's good to know that you can get some tog out of Westport and in Buzzards Bay. Over the weekend we had 1/2 (or better) limits on a quick stop on the way in and today it was more picky with only a few tog amongst the sea bass limits we kept.

Our own HFG (Jessica) had the best tog of the day-she even painted her toenails the exact color of a Tidal Tailz Jig!

jesstoes.jpg

091720jessica2.jpg

It was a great trip with plenty of sea bass. Lucked out with great weather. The cold weather should get the black fish chewing. Seems the colored toe nails did the trick.

1 hour ago, hotfishgirl said:

It was a great trip with plenty of sea bass. Lucked out with great weather. The cold weather should get the black fish chewing. Seems the colored toe nails did the trick.

Today with the big NE wind I stayed "very close/shallow". That really did the trick with full limits of both tog and sea bass. Some of each species were quite impressive on rocky patches in 16-22 feet of water. A few triggerfish too...

1 hour ago, jason colby said:

Today with the big NE wind I stayed "very close/shallow". That really did the trick with full limits of both tog and sea bass. Some of each species were quite impressive on rocky patches in 16-22 feet of water. A few triggerfish too...

sweet!!! nice to hear.

9 hours ago, sandbars said:

Should have tog fished last night some nice ones being caught from the beach last night. Instead I wasted time on small bass.

Sunday was particularly tough with all the wind. My (mega) anchor would not hold half the time when I had to drop in anything over 30 feet, in spite of 200 feet of anchor line/scope. Also, lining up a little patch of rocks with that much anchor line out and all the swinging the boat was doing dictated that the spots I had to stick to were all about 1/4 mile out. Saturday was more NE (we had limits of tog and sea bass) but Sunday was "pure north", a bit more difficult.....

Posted (edited) · Report post

Do you guys really enjoy eating tog?   I've tried them a number of times over the years, and found them to be, eh?   Though I hear they're excellent raw.

When I was a kid, my dad and I could catch them by the carload. They were almost a nuisance.  Fortunately we had friends and family who loved them.  We had standing orders for all the tog we could supply. None went to waste.

Edited by bob_G

7 mins ago, bob_G said:

Do you guys really enjoy eating tog?   I've tried them a number of times over the years, and found them to be, eh?   Though I hear they're excellent raw.

When I was a kid, my dad and I could catch them by the carload. They were almost a nuisance.  Fortunately we had friends and family who loved them.  We had standing orders for all the tog we could supply. None went to waste.

Tog are great eating! The issue I see is they easily get hard/tough when overcooked so it is important to be careful with your cooking time. Raw for sushi/sashimi you can't go wrong and whenever I get a chance I freeze "sushi-logs" for the winter. The logs are the shoulder loin of a large (7 pounds and up) tog. 

Also, if you are too squeamish about eating "undercooked" fish, you can cut the tog fillets into 1/2 inch cubes to make stir fry, coconut curry and other dishes that cooking them to death does not effect. Also, 1/2 inch thick strips (1/2 inch wide X whatever length) of tog are great for deep frying. 

Tog is good eating. Fried, baked or tacos are all tasty. I rate them just a bit below sea bass and fluke for best local fish. I think the smaller fish taste better and have a better texture than the larger ones. Keeper size to around 4 pounds are best. 

34 mins ago, z-man said:

Tog is good eating. Fried, baked or tacos are all tasty. I rate them just a bit below sea bass and fluke for best local fish. I think the smaller fish taste better and have a better texture than the larger ones. Keeper size to around 4 pounds are best. 

I hear this a lot about smaller size fish and perhaps it is true to a degree. I personally find no real difference except where my preference for larger fish comes in BECAUSE I get the right size loins (logs) for making sushi and sashimi. Other than that, any keeper size cooks the same (to me).... 

I love Tog's.Like Jason said ...just make sure you don't over cook it which by the way most people overcook their fish.

i like to blacken it in and cook in  cast iron pan or fish chowder is another favorite as the fish stays together well.