ThrowinPlugs

GSB 1201m, bad purchase for pencils?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm seeing a lot of conflicting opinions, so why not ask for more? I picked up a new GSB yesterday (10 foot 1201m version) with the intent of using it for pencils or little necks 2-4oz. Im seeing a lot of conflicting opinions about the 1201m vs 1321m. I'm not a huge 11 foot rod guy. I'm relatively short. After a few yest casts yesterday, I was pleased with how it worked a pencil in the 2 oz range. Again im not using it for lighter end stuff (that what I use my evolution for). In the shop, both actions felt identical so I ultimately went with the 10 footer.

What are your thoughts on the 1201 for heavier pencils?

Edit

Also, where I fish its mostly decent current.

Edited by ThrowinPlugs

How heavy of a pencil? 

I have not casted the 1201M but I have handled it in a shop. I fish a 1321M-OS

(3-7oz) and my friend has the regular 1321M (2-5oz). 

Both have no issues casting 4oz pencils and are great pencil rods.

Given the identical actions to the 1201M. I think you made the right choice. 

2-3oz pencils, 3-4 oz metal lips etc.

12 mins ago, fishtheeast said:

How heavy of a pencil? 

I have not casted the 1201M but I have handled it in a shop. I fish a 1321M-OS

(3-7oz) and my friend has the regular 1321M (2-5oz). 

Both have no issues casting 4oz pencils and are great pencil rods.

Given the identical actions to the 1201M. I think you made the right choice. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

All depends on conditions.  I have a 10’ 1201L and a 10’8” 1321M(trimmed at the butt).  They both have a role. You are fine. 

Edited by D1fishr

No problem.  The blank is a bear.  If there are any issues with it it’s generally throwing lighter presentations that cannot properly “load” the blank.   

GSB 1201m, bad purchase for pencils?

Hell no, it's one of the best graphite pencil rods out there, still, after all these years.

I just bought one this summer and feel like it makes a great open beach/rock stick. I was throwing pencils 1.5 - 3 oz easily and working them wasn't a chore. It throws 3/4 oz bucktails efficiently but not as well as the 1201L. Anything 1oz or over isn't a problem. It doesn't "feel" a Mag Darter/Bomber/SP swim as much as the L model but enough to know if something is askew. 

1 hour ago, ANGCorsair said:

I just bought one this summer and feel like it makes a great open beach/rock stick. I was throwing pencils 1.5 - 3 oz easily and working them wasn't a chore. It throws 3/4 oz bucktails efficiently but not as well as the 1201L. Anything 1oz or over isn't a problem. It doesn't "feel" a Mag Darter/Bomber/SP swim as much as the L model but enough to know if something is askew. 

Nice, thanks! It's really gonna be a dedicated pencil rod 99% of the time, so ultra sensitivity isn't top priority. Lol

The 1201M is my go to plugging stick for the jetty/rock and canal. It does awesome on 2-3.5oz pencils and darters. I have even thrown 4oz Lefthook pencils on it. I like this over the 1321m because it is easier to manuever fish with a 10 footer on a jetty. A lot of the places I fish on the canal have a steep embankment where the 1321 would get in the way.

2 hours ago, Dah seee said:

The 1201M is my go to plugging stick for the jetty/rock and canal. It does awesome on 2-3.5oz pencils and darters. I have even thrown 4oz Lefthook pencils on it. I like this over the 1321m because it is easier to manuever fish with a 10 footer on a jetty. A lot of the places I fish on the canal have a steep embankment where the 1321 would get in the way.

I'm actually up at the canal this weekend til tomorrow afternoon, and you're absolutely right. An 11 footer would be too much in a lot of these spots. Sheesh. The rod works floating pencils like a maniac. Im still getting used to sinkers though.