vce12342000

Salmon from Pulaski NY

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Going to do my annual ritual & head up to Pulaski NY to fish the Salmon River. The 1st year I headed up. I had hooked into a Salmon. I was super excited & took the fish home. I prepared it like a trout. But filleted it. Cooked in a pan with butter, salt & pepper. Took a bite. Almost threw up. As it was extremely fishy for my palate. Now many years later Im thinking about trying it again. But will need idea's for a tasty recipe that I can palate :drool:. Not trying to go the smoke route while Im up there as it will take @ least 24  hours. I am only planing on doing a day trip @ the most. No smoker @ home. Any suggestions on a :headscratch:.

 

Thanks in advance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can hot smoke on a regular grill with just a package of wood chips wrapped in foil.  Not the same as cold smoke but still good.  Most salmon holds up ok with a good rub and then just grilled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I love salmon , first get a couple small to medium sweet potatoes and wrap them up in foil after rubbing them in Crisco or any all vegetable shortening .Turn oven (inside your home) to 425 and bake the potatoes until you can stick a fork in easy.  Turn oven down to 375 and put salmon on a pan lined with aluminum foil . pour a little olive oil on aluminum and place fish skin side down . You can leave fish uncovered or cover if you have a hotter than usual oven . Cook the fish about 15 minutes or until it  flakes  . Pull your fish out and pour some local honey over it . Then slice open your sweet potatoes and load down with butter and brown sugar . I like mine like this  , hope you will ! ... This is for fillets , you can use butter or olive oil .

Edited by Olin
added info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The salmon I have caught out of Ontario all have tasted like the water smelled.  Horrible.  The only ones I have liked have been smoked.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my buddies at work goes salmon fishing a couple times a year. A couple months ago I was taking to him about it and he was saying that salmon in the Pulaski are on their way to breed and die. Not good eating fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PaddyCrabby said:

The salmon I have caught out of Ontario all have tasted like the water smelled.  Horrible.  

This is the same I experienced from the salmon river :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, chitala383 said:

One of my buddies at work goes salmon fishing a couple times a year. A couple months ago I was taking to him about it and he was saying that salmon in the Pulaski are on their way to breed and die. Not good eating fish.

I guess if you catch them fresh coming in from the lake they mite be fresh. But I agree if they been in their awhile or way further up near Altmir they are pretty much beat up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have fished the Salmon River for years, and I can count on one hand how many fish I kept for consumption. Most of the time they were for other people. Not the best eating. Your best bet at finding the freshest fish is to fish  Douglaston. These fish haven’t spent a lot of time in the river yet.

 

Your best bet is to take your catch to a smokehouse up in the area and let them smoke the fish for you in a few different flavors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salmon from the great lakes used to taste pretty good but the FW shrimp that they were eating that made them taste good have been extirpated by gobies and mussels.The meat used to be red like AK fish but now it's pale pink at best ,more often just white,and tastes like a river smells at the end of summer ; all fishy and mossy.The fish from Lk Ontario are probably the worst of all for edibility as they eat primarily menhaden, which is a stinky lil fish.

King salmon are probably the worst smelling fish I've ever caught,even right from the lake.AK fish,not so much and they get $35-40/lb for fresh AK King.But the grt lks kings are just awful.

In Lks Mi,Superior and Huron there are still smelt around so if their diet is primarily smelt they can still be edible,which is not the same as palatable.If I were starving I might eat them,but,otherwise there are so many other species of fish that actually taste good and where you don't have to smoke or heavily spice them to make them palatable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2020 at 7:31 AM, Tagman said:

I have fished the Salmon River for years, and I can count on one hand how many fish I kept for consumption. Most of the time they were for other people. Not the best eating. 

 

 

Glad Im not the only 1 that found the fish from there funky.........It only took me once to take a fish home from there to find out that I need to release every 1 of them back to spawn. I think my cat would even turn her nose up to it :laugh::laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slip n slide said:

Salmon from the great lakes used to taste pretty good but the FW shrimp that they were eating that made them taste good have been extirpated by gobies and mussels.The meat used to be red like AK fish but now it's pale pink at best ,more often just white,and tastes like a river smells at the end of summer ; all fishy and mossy.The fish from Lk Ontario are probably the worst of all for edibility as they eat primarily menhaden, which is a stinky lil fish.

King salmon are probably the worst smelling fish I've ever caught,even right from the lake.AK fish,not so much and they get $35-40/lb for fresh AK King.But the grt lks kings are just awful.

In Lks Mi,Superior and Huron there are still smelt around so if their diet is primarily smelt they can still be edible,which is not the same as palatable.If I were starving I might eat them,but,otherwise there are so many other species of fish that actually taste good and where you don't have to smoke or heavily spice them to make them palatable.

Thank you for the breakdown.... I will not be keeping any fish this season up there... I thought it was my palate that was out of wack.....:laugh::laugh:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SB59 said:

Safer to eat the ballast from a fluorescent light fixture. Less pcb's.

after reading these comments... Im just going to be tossing them rite back in .......:laugh::laugh:

Spoiler

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When caught in the lake or early in the river, smoked is the way to go. However it is a commitment to bleed, get filleted and iced quick while on the river and takes away from the angling aspect. Other than smoked they are not too palatable, and I love blackened bluefish or grilled. Sucks that the litmus test for taste is bluefish, they get no respect!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.