dannyplug1

BEST WAY TO ATTACH FLY LINE TO BACKING

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

34 mins ago, dannyplug1 said:

What’s the best way to attach fly line to backing.  Nail knot, loop to loop, mono nail knot with a loop? Thanks Charlie 

We talking trout or tarpon here. 

Create a doubled Bimini twist in the backing looped to the manufacturer’s loop on the fly line. If there is no loop in the fly line then go with one of the options above.

32 mins ago, 27conch said:

Only issue with the Albright is that it’s permanent. If you do a loop to loop you can easily swap fly lines, if this is important to you. 

And it's huge. An albright just isn't well suited for a backing to line connection. From 3wt to 11wt, my rigs all have the same connection. Spliced loop to a welded loop, braided loop, or nail knot loop, with a double hitch.

20200605_113058.jpg

Best way - if using Dacron, splice a loop in the backing, coat with aqua seal. Second best is a Bimini in the backing. For the line, if no loop make one with braided mono or hollow core and go loop to loop. 

10 hours ago, JEFFSOD said:

I usually use a nail knot unless the line has a loop in the back end too.

Spider hitch on the backing. Double nail knot loop on the flyline.

39 mins ago, Local66 said:

And it's huge. An albright just isn't well suited for a backing to line connection. From 3wt to 11wt, my rigs all have the same connection. Spliced loop to a welded loop, braided loop, or nail knot loop, with a double hitch.

What he said.  

23 mins ago, ken r said:

This thread got me thinking.....wonder how well an FG knot would work? :headscratch:

I've thought about that as well.  My concern is that the backing would bite into the fly line coating and strip it off the core under a load.  Might be worth a try on the test bench if you've got an old fly line laying around.  

I use loop to loop.  Same as Drew C. already mentioned.  Blind splice in the dacron and either use the factory loop in the fly line or add a hollow mono loop to lines without the factory loop.