Quonnie

Westerly Town Council deems Spray Rock Road right-of-way private

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

Its weekapaug overlook. Unbelievable. The assault on beach access continues. :banghd:

My guess is there will be a public uproar about it. Stay tuned. 

6 mins ago, ne_dan said:

Sounds like it

The address in the article is for the last house, adjacent to the beach parking lot. Sure looks like the sand trail.

Damn! That's one of my Go To spots whenever I'm in the area.

35 mins ago, ne_dan said:

Sounds like it

26 mins ago, Milky said:

The address in the article is for the last house, adjacent to the beach parking lot. Sure looks like the sand trail.

Damn! That's one of my Go To spots whenever I'm in the area.

As long as it's listed as a right-of-way in the CRMC handbook, i'll still use the sandtrail despite it being "private property".

OK so apparently its not the overlook pkg area, but the lot next to the crosswalk at WFD beach and the path next to it. If so, that's even worse. It'll be interesting to see if they even enforce it in the off-season. 

1 hour ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

As long as it's listed as a right-of-way in the CRMC handbook, i'll still use the sandtrail despite it being "private property".

I think they article said the town would have to apply to have it listed as a public right of way, and apparently it's already been blocked with branches and crap.

23 mins ago, ne_dan said:

I think they article said the town would have to apply to have it listed as a public right of way, and apparently it's already been blocked with branches and crap.

Hopefully they can prove the longtime “continuous public use” to get it designated a ROW.  

If it's speaking about the lot at wfd 

I was told by security as of last week that in season I'm allowed to park to the outside of the crosswalk and they cannot stop you from walking down the sand trail  the first cut through that they sit at  is "private" and without a town sticker/pin you're our of luck (durring the in season) 

But you can walk 50yards further and cut in  the very next path and they can't tell you not to 

After labor day I dont think they care (at least they didn't used to) 

Keep in mind that a lot of the people who check for tags etc are just kids and are doing what they're told to uphold, but generally if you're nice to then they're willing to look a blind eye (or even tell you the work arounds) as long as what's going on won't get them in trouble