NewWaveDave

Aluminum and electrolysis/protection

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

• Hi! Getting a new aluminum boat and need to leave it in the water from april through november. Does anyone know if the black commercially applied bottom coat protects from electrolysis? If not, I am going to apply a barrier coat but I will have to do it myself (did it to my current boat). Thanks!

You need a special bottom paint made for aluminum hulls. Regular bottom paint contains copper which will cause electrolysis with an aluminum hull, and a barrier coat won't stop it.

Also in some places, you cannot put a boat in a lake with painted bottom other when what can with it from the factory.

Thanks for the info LB!

This boat is for an oyster farm in the Delaware Bay. As long as I own it, it will never see fresh water with the exception of rain. 

Our club had 2 aluminum launches and applied cold tar to the interior bilge of the boat to protect from electrolysis,but I think they used an aluminum specific paint for the exterior of the hull.  There are a number on the market. Google is your friend.

Read about sacrificial anodes/ zinc placement on hulls. Many commercial made Alaskan boats come threw with these. The problem is galvanic corrosion, Inside the boat or anything including saltwater trailers and tackle use Film Fluid, no corrosion or rust, especially on electronics. Been using 20 yrs. 

2 hours ago, RAW said:

Read about sacrificial anodes/ zinc placement on hulls. Many commercial made Alaskan boats come threw with these. The problem is galvanic corrosion, Inside the boat or anything including saltwater trailers and tackle use Film Fluid, no corrosion or rust, especially on electronics. Been using 20 yrs. 

Out of curiosity, how long does fluid film last before reapplication is necessary?  Looking at it for something else

5 hours ago, John P said:

Our club had 2 aluminum launches and applied cold tar to the interior bilge of the boat to protect from electrolysis,but I think they used an aluminum specific paint for the exterior of the hull.  There are a number on the market. Google is your friend.

Painting the interior bilge with anything will do absolutely zero to stop electrolysis.

This was a inboard launch which always had salt water at the bottom of the bilge. It was built at Derecktor's yard in Mamaroneck,NY,trust me the yard new what they were doing. If this boat has no bilge  I agree.

2 hours ago, makorider said:

Out of curiosity, how long does fluid film last before reapplication is necessary?  Looking at it for something else

It works on anything subject to corrosion, I do fishing reels in early season and fresh water rinse everyday. Penn spinfisher 4500 and 5500 over 20 yrs old, boat trailer rollers. No lousy smell and nice on hands. 

If you have a battery in your boat you will get electrolysis, That’s why there are anodes on motors . Doubled up on zinc on my 28’ Penn Yan , all perfect in regards to corrosion, all electronics worked excellent longer. Connectors on 150’ probe stayed clean

1 hour ago, RAW said:

It works on anything subject to corrosion, I do fishing reels in early season and fresh water rinse everyday. Penn spinfisher 4500 and 5500 over 20 yrs old, boat trailer rollers. No lousy smell and nice on hands. 

I get that.

You are saying it will last all season with daily use/washing?

4 hours ago, RAW said:

It does on my tackle, boat trailer 1-2 months . That stuff is now used to spray undercarriages of vehicles

yeah, was actually looking at it for my TJ frame.  Specifically, internally as that is always the weak spot in jeeps.  Mine, best I can tell, is in pretty good shape, would like to keep it that way