Squidder vs Surfmaster

Rate this topic

cbchurch

I have a couple of each. Spent several years in my teens ( a long long time ago....) casting only the Squidder, then, for some long forgotten reason, spent a few more years exclusively throwing plugs with the Surfmaster. I really love both, and I can throw either with the best , but the Surfmaster is / was something special. Big difference- ball bearings vs bushings....Comments?

Steve T

Edited by cbchurch

profile pic Penn Squidder, Lami 01166, Atom 40. 1975 or so. My go to for a couple of years when I was a kid.....

Magnets don't add distance, they control the rotation of the spool. For me, casting without mags, a lot of it comes down to listening to the sound of the spool, and the line.

profile pic Penn Squidder, Lami 01166, Atom 40. 1975 or so. My go to for a couple of years when I was a kid.....

having owned and extensively used both penn flavors, i'll take bearings over bushings.  it's not a contest, they're all just tools.  use whatever works best for you.  i prefer a lefty squidder with aluminum spool over the finned plastic one.  i'm not after distance - i load up with 30# trilene mono.  it's all good if it gets the job done.  :) 

The only government I trust is the .45-70

1 hour ago, BeachBob said:

having owned and extensively used both penn flavors, i'll take bearings over bushings.  it's not a contest, they're all just tools.  use whatever works best for you.  i prefer a lefty squidder with aluminum spool over the finned plastic one.  i'm not after distance - i load up with 30# trilene mono.  it's all good if it gets the job done.  :) 

I use 30lbs also, how much 30 lb. Can you get on a 146 squidder?