BathtubGin

Shop with a lot of RODS?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Any suggestions for a shop with a wide variety of surf rods in Southern Maine? I'm probably not going to buy anything until spring but would love to look around now...

I bought my 9' Triumph in person and it's fine... It's the only surf rod I've ever used... 

I would like to upgrade/try a different length/brand but before I spend the money, I want to hold it in my hands...

Edited by BathtubGin

If you want a selection, plus excellent advice, drive an extras half hour south to Surfland.   

36 mins ago, MartyK said:

If you want a selection, plus excellent advice, drive an extras half hour south to Surfland.   

Where is Surfland?

1 hour ago, mickymac said:

Where is Surfland?

Plum Island, just through Newburyport (which is a nice take in itself).   I go there from Southern Maine 5 or 6 times a year for bait and reel repair/maintenance.   Webhanett in Wells (also very good people)  has rods, but is smaller.   I'm not a fan of the box stores for anything other than an occasional package of hooks.    

2 mins ago, Sea Of Atlas said:

SURFLAND ALL THE WAY! Best shop for Surfcasters within driving distance of Southern Maine.

I should've mentioned this.   I was there about a month ago because they had gotten in a boatload of mackerel.    As I pulled in the lot there were 3 other cars, 2 from Maine and one from New Hampshire.   I talked to them all.   The Maine guys were from Kittery and Kennebunkport.   The guy from New Hampshire was from Dover.   I have a friend from Pennsylvania who ships his reels there for maintenance (including line replacement) after every season fishing the New Jersey shore.   The best part is besides being well stocked and knowledgeable, they are also pleasant.   It's one of those places where I actually enjoy spending money.   

Yeah, I'll never not support them. They've supported many wood plug builders over the year as well and kept me in the game. Oh the pluggage I've gotten there over the years. If I had a time machine I'd go back and buy all the GRS plugs they carried.

8 hours ago, MartyK said:

Plum Island, just through Newburyport (which is a nice take in itself).   I go there from Southern Maine 5 or 6 times a year for bait and reel repair/maintenance.   Webhanett in Wells (also very good people)  has rods, but is smaller.   I'm not a fan of the box stores for anything other than an occasional package of hooks.    

Thanks, I'll have to check it out!!