Donny G

Anchor dragging

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I have a 16’ Lund.  Engine quit last Friday off RI coast in heavy fog.  Called sea tow and waited. Dropped anchor in 30’ of water. It’s a 20 lb 3 bladed  river/ lake model.  Had 75’ of line out and was dragging.  Would 10’of chain help ? 
talked to some others that had that had same issues but different kinds of anchors.  Any ideas?   Thanks Don 

3 bladed, if that's like a grappling hook would be hard to hold in sand. A Dansforth or some equivalent with maybe 4-5 foot of chain would help you hold. I think river/lake anchor considering the current in the ocean just will not cut the mustard. Atlantic is not a lake! If cost is a factor just keep your eyes on CL or estate sales until you find what you need. 

Assume you got home and are not still waiting for Seatow? 

More like a mushroom with 3 blades.  Didn’t know if going heavier would do it.  
others said they had a 2 bladed fluted anchor but would set itself.  I see online there is a plow shaped one that digs in better.  Smallest one is for 22’ boat.  
yes , seatow showed up 90+ minutes later. I learned a good lesson that heavy fog slows down wait time quite a bit . 

1 hour ago, Donny G said:

I have a 16’ Lund.  Engine quit last Friday off RI coast in heavy fog.  Called sea tow and waited. Dropped anchor in 30’ of water. It’s a 20 lb 3 bladed  river/ lake model.  Had 75’ of line out and was dragging.  Would 10’of chain help ? 
talked to some others that had that had same issues but different kinds of anchors.  Any ideas?   Thanks Don 

More chain or more scope. 6 feet of scope for every one foot of depth is the recommended scope.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, Donny G said:

2 hours ago, MakoMike said:

More chain or more scope. 6 feet of scope for every one foot of depth is the recommended scope.

Yeah, you need more chain.  Meeting the typically recommended scope of 6:1 or 7:1 (with 3' of chain) would require 180'-210' of anchor line for a 30' depth... that's just not really feasible to haul around in a 16' boat.

Put 20' of chain on that anchor and you are good.

I ran 20' of chain on a 20' boat and could anchor under most conditions with a 3:1 scope.

Edited by Slacker

2 hours ago, MakoMike said:

I thought it was 7:1?