beerspitnight

Mullet Rig Keeps Getting Tangled

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi,

So, I picked up some fresh mullet and a mullet rig this morning.  Cast it out into the trough, waited about 15 minutes, reeled it back in and it was all tangled up in the mainline, which was braid as well as the rig. ( I had a swivel to the mono leader, which I then connected to the 3-way on the mullet rig) I then came home, used a double - uni knot to connect a longer mono leader to the braid, then to the threeway, went back up to the beach and the same thing happened.  Can anyone provide some insight into what I am doing wrong or not doing that is landing me in this situation?  And I was using an 8oz pyramid sinker today.

I can post a picture if that would help.

Thanks.

Edited by beerspitnight
Added sinker info

What pound test is the mono leader?  When it's too light it is prone to tangles.  And sometimes the currents can just be wacky in a particular area and make a total mess of things regardless.  I don't know whether you tried a different spot when you went back, but I would have given that a shot.  

9 mins ago, daves745t said:

What pound test is the mono leader?  When it's too light it is prone to tangles.  And sometimes the currents can just be wacky in a particular area and make a total mess of things regardless.  I don't know whether you tried a different spot when you went back, but I would have given that a shot.  

Hi - it was 40# mono.  The sweep from N to S was pretty full on this morning.  I can up the poundage to 80 and try another spot to see if that helps.

Thank you.

ok I start by cutting the wire that the rig comes with off and replace it with 80 or 100 lb mono leader, I never make my leader longer than 12 in. and in heavy surf I have used them as small as 6 in. seems to cut down on the tangles and still catches fish

4 hours ago, beerspitnight said:

Hi - it was 40# mono.  The sweep from N to S was pretty full on this morning.  I can up the poundage to 80 and try another spot to see if that helps.

Thank you.

I would've thought 40lb would be heavy enough... I might go the 50, but that's as high as I'd go.  I think Longfin might be right that the leader was too long.

4 hours ago, longfin61 said:

ok I start by cutting the wire that the rig comes with off and replace it with 80 or 100 lb mono leader, I never make my leader longer than 12 in. and in heavy surf I have used them as small as 6 in. seems to cut down on the tangles and still catches fish

But the braid (tied directly to the 3-way) and then the leader, which was 36" long both got tangled.  I will try taking the wire off and replacing it.  Thank you!