FishermanTim

Saw something I couldn't identify....

29 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2020 at 2:20 PM, Hook I said:

F6038474-CACC-4BD9-86DB-0FA75673FFDF.png.c9993440e9e2a9cc0d44308b04a51de5.png

think it was one of these ? 

That is an Alligator Snapping Turtle which is predominantly found in the southeastern US. They can grow to over 200lbs. The Common Snapping Turtle is native to MA but it reaches a maximum size of only 75lbs. My guess is a very large carp or catfish.

1 hour ago, HardyG said:

That is an Alligator Snapping Turtle which is predominantly found in the southeastern US. They can grow to over 200lbs. The Common Snapping Turtle is native to MA but it reaches a maximum size of only 75lbs. My guess is a very large carp or catfish.

Yes your correct , now I cant % 100 The accuracy of some of the snappers at the waters I fish  but from the surface their shell are quite large , 2 are huge about the size of a garbage can cover . That’s pretty big . I could only imagine the actual weight & age . Ugly bastards

On 9/15/2020 at 3:20 PM, metaliczombi said:

Real fun to unhook when they are sewer cap size. They hiss like crazy and want to do nothing but snap a finger off.

Yep.  The only one I ever caught bit a plastic worm when I was fishing a South Carolina farm pond.  Thank God it wasn't a big one AND the hook hadn't penetrated past the barb.  The hook popped out as I was struggling to lift that thing (probably 20+ pounds) over the thick marsh grass at water's edge.

They are impressive. Some of the places I fish here in MA do have some BIG snappers.

When they stick their heads up and it looks like the end of a branch sticking up, or when you use "fist-size" or "thick as my thigh" to describe it, that's when they're getting big.

Saw one a few years back floating amongst a bunch of weeds. Thought maybe it had died (old age) and had gotten to the "floater" stage. After a couple of pokes with my kayak paddle the thing woke up thrashing like a dog having a bad dream.

Other times they'll "walk" under my kayak as I'm fishing.

Regardless, they are cool prehistoric looking creatures.

Seen some big snapping turtles in the lake across the street and what you describe doesn't sound like a turtle to me. Every snapping turtle I see comes to the surface and rests while looking around. Only see a small amount of it's shell but that long neck is always stretched out to look around. 

It does however sound like the otter I see in the same lake. Long body slides through the water just like a dolphin. Very quiet and then it's gone leaving barely a ripple. Their wet fur almost looks black when they first surface. 

On 9/15/2020 at 0:59 PM, FishermanTim said:

I was fishing a local river (well, local by my standards) on Saturday and after a really fun day of fighting monster pickerel and some dink bass, I was paddling down river and saw something surface about 20-30 feet in front of me.

Now I know what swims in this river: Bass, pickerel, pike, carp, snapping turtles, beavers, muskrats and (heard about but not seen) otters.

Whatever this creature was, it was big, REAL BIG. It breached the surface, looking like when a whale or dolphin comes up for a breath of air, but only there was no showing of head or limbs. All that showed was a shiny dark gray object that moved like when a whale/dolphin does.

My only conclusion was a huge snapping turtle. Seeing that it's a muddy-bottom river, it's shell would be covered in mud which would account for the color.

What really impressed me was the size.

Based on my POV, the top shell I saw (from front to back) would have had to be somewhere around 3-4 feet long. The closest size comparison would be like a loggerhead turtle.

I mean, most adults could have ridden this thing!

I laugh now because when I'm kayak fishing this particular stretch of river I have turtles rise up to check out what I am constantly, and some of them are big ones too! 

Am I worried? No, because they are curious, not aggressive and I have no desire to screw with them anyway.

Hope you all have had the chance to get out and have your own outdoor adventures!

Are you in Mass? If so, I’d say it was a sturgeon. They’ll shoot out of the water like a missile, really cool to see. 
I caught one a couple years ago in the Merrimack, probably 4’. 

73AF731F-D70A-4DB2-BAF5-ED93DCBDAC64.jpeg

Beaver?

Seen some really big ones and they do that just under the surface swim

Lost a nice sp minnow to one in the DE river while striper fishing trenton area.  Thing did not like being foul hooked and charged me.  I ran lol

Edited by Captain Ahab

On 9/17/2020 at 5:48 AM, PSegnatelli said:

I once saw a pike swimming with it's head clear out of the water. Swam like that for nearly 100yds.  

Out on my kayak and aw a huge muskie doing that. Saw a black triangle skimming around out of the water, turned out I was looking into the top of it's open mouth

Two guys in a boat (big time muskie fishermen) were freaking out, said they had heard of them doing that but never saw it before

When I was a kid I was fishing at my lake standing barefoot on a log along the edge. Realized it wasn't a log it was a gigantic dead snapping turtle. Never waded that lake again.

Edited by Sudsy

Yeah, the odds still stand at it having been a turtle.

There is a slim chance it could have been a beaver of even an otter, but the surface area I saw exposed was roughly 2-3 feet across. If it were a carp it didn't show any of it's head or tail.

In any case, whatever it was, it would have to be the biggest of whatever it is that I've ever seen.

As for sturgeon, I doubt it. The surface area I saw was smooth. No ridges, bumps or anything that I could identify.

I'll keep my eyes open as I'll be fishing that same river next week during my week off.

3 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Out on my kayak and aw a huge muskie doing that. Saw a black triangle skimming around out of the water, turned out I was looking into the top of it's open mouth

Two guys in a boat (big time muskie fishermen) were freaking out, said they had heard of them doing that but never saw it before

When I was a kid I was fishing at my lake standing barefoot on a log along the edge. Realized it wasn't a log it was a gigantic snapping turtle. Never waded that lake again.

Funny coincidence to see two references to Pike/Musky swimming with their heads above water. We have one that we call the torpedo because of how it swims. I saw it from 20' away swim a good 50 yards past me- looked like it was smiling. Yeah -I know -but it did:-). Two days ago swam 3' from another members boat-who had seen it from afar a few times. He confirmed it was a Musky-swimming with his head -out of the water-but moving his mouth open & shut. Said he looked it up and they do that sometimes after eating something large.

I was glad to have it confirmed because I questioned what i had seen.

Can confirm along with Gatr522 of the smiling musky as it was spotted again yesterday multiple times. When looked up, one of the funnier comments/reasons why they do it was.....

"Hey, you can’t catch me but here I am!”

....as it swam away smiling.

Speaking with a well known musky fisherman, he also said they may do it after eating a large meal or out looking for something to eat.  But concluded that no one really knows why.  Hopefully one of us will catch it this fall and will share some pictures.  

23 mins ago, LastCast82 said:

Can confirm along with Gatr522 of the smiling musky as it was spotted again yesterday multiple times. When looked up, one of the funnier comments/reasons why they do it was.....

"Hey, you can’t catch me but here I am!”

....as it swam away smiling.

Speaking with a well known musky fisherman, he also said they may do it after eating a large meal or out looking for something to eat.  But concluded that no one really knows why.  Hopefully one of us will catch it this fall and will share some pictures.  

LC- must be more like info on this enormous site. Consider starting a thread.

That Musky (perhaps plural) swimming like that is remarkable EVERY time I/we have seen it. We'll get the pic next time. 

24 mins ago, Gatr522 said:

LC- must be more like info on this enormous site. Consider starting a thread.

That Musky (perhaps plural) swimming like that is remarkable EVERY time I/we have seen it. We'll get the pic next time. 

Hey Gatr, 

For sure more info on here and good idea on the thread, will try to get one up.

It's definitely a sight to see and yes we're gonna get a pic of it swimming or someone holding it this fall.

15 mins ago, LastCast82 said:

Hey Gatr, 

For sure more info on here and good idea on the thread, will try to get one up.

It's definitely a sight to see and yes we're gonna get a pic of it swimming or someone holding it this fall.

LC- check out youtube     Musky swimming on surface w head above water

A variety of videos

We'll get the shot.