mkus

No wonder there’s fewer Albies !!!!

Rate this topic

129 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, mkus said:

Well this post is in regards to a commercial netting and it’s impacting on local inshore species.

which have no survival rate caught in a net.

So it’s safe to say anglers aren’t killing as many fish as these nets are and what are these fish being used for no one has a definitive answer my whole point is these nets are outdated and they should not  be located so close to shore because of its impact on the recreational fishery!

Man what are you guys commercial fisherman trolling here lol feed their families ?!!that’s a laugh feed them some dead Albies.

I see wasteful fishing practices as bad, regardless of whether it is commercial guys or recreational guys.

If 2 dozen recreational guys catch and release a dozen albie each and most all those albie die, was it worse or better then a commercial angler who scooped up 100 albie and sold them to people who will eat them?????

52 mins ago, z-man said:

Did you see anything about what the fish are being sold for? Food or bait?

That’s not listed in the page that I checked.

But given the price, I’d guess that food is the primary use; maybe bait when the market can’t handle the volume.

commercial fishing aside, I never landed one of these so if i did I would be pretty damn excited. Were I to be so lucky, should I not keep it? I love keeping and cooking fish I catch (as long as its legal). I've tasted some fish that are better than others but never a fish that didn't taste good/wasn't worth eating.

9 hours ago, LuPork said:

commercial fishing aside, I never landed one of these so if i did I would be pretty damn excited. Were I to be so lucky, should I not keep it? I love keeping and cooking fish I catch (as long as its legal). I've tasted some fish that are better than others but never a fish that didn't taste good/wasn't worth eating.

My mentality is that it’s worth more as a game fish then as table fare. So I don’t target it as food and do my best to ensure their chances at survival. That being said they are very tasty, but it’s a lot of waste. Not worth killing an animal for four tiny trimmed loins. But if you’re lucky enough to catch one but it dies in the fight. Do the right thing and don’t waste it. Bleed it. Ice it. And trim it well. Belly strips make great trailers too.

On 9/18/2020 at 11:44 PM, LuPork said:

90% of the meat is inedible, and the other 10% taste no better than plain chicken breast. Absolutely not worth killing unless it dies in the fight.

On 9/18/2020 at 10:59 AM, Beastly Backlash said:

I see wasteful fishing practices as bad, regardless of whether it is commercial guys or recreational guys.

If 2 dozen recreational guys catch and release a dozen albie each and most all those albie die, was it worse or better then a commercial angler who scooped up 100 albie and sold them to people who will eat them?????

What about the already dead by catch in that same net that was shoveled overboard???!! 
Don’t forget that now 

20 mins ago, mkus said:

What about the already dead by catch in that same net that was shoveled overboard???!! 
Don’t forget that now 

Did you even bother to read the thread? Not much by-catch with fish traps. Most fish survive the experience and can be released.

15 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Did you even bother to read the thread? Not much by-catch with fish traps. Most fish survive the experience and can be released.

I’ve seen dead fish pulled out including Rays big ones you ever Gish the wall and see them empty them???

watched them through my binoculars 

Edited by mkus

2 mins ago, mkus said:

I’ve seen dead fish pulled out including Rays big ones you ever Gish the wall and see them empty them???

watched them through my binoculars 

I've watched hem empty the trap near the east wall a number of times. The skates go for lobster bait I don't know what they do with the cow nosed rays. 

5 hours ago, mkus said:

Don’t forget that now 

There is no excuse for that

Would be nice to see comms forced to kept exactly what they catch to a specific tonnage.

They can keep what they catch to that tonnage and figure out how to sell it.

They might consider better catch practices to eliminate unwanted bycatch then.

Bonito or albies make great bait. Also, many people do eat them. Sure they are not great but if you remove the bloodline they are eatable. If you catch small ones around 1 pound they are actually pretty good. Bonito and rice is a meal of choice for many people. 

I agree that the commercial value of these is very low. But in reality, a bonito can be useful catch when offshore fishing. Bonito strips for lures and cut bait to pitch to mahi-mahi or other fish being targeted.

Edited by cbw5007

2 hours ago, cbw5007 said:

Bonito or albies make great bait. Also, many people do eat them. Sure they are not great but if you remove the bloodline they are eatable. If you catch small ones around 1 pound they are actually pretty good. Bonito and rice is a meal of choice for many people. 

I agree that the commercial value of these is very low. But in reality, a bonito can be useful catch when offshore fishing. Bonito strips for lures and cut bait to pitch to mahi-mahi or other fish being targeted.

It is all but fact... Atlantic green bonito are good eating, its false albacore (or little tunny) that only the heartiest of souls actually enjoy choking down. Blackened bonito is among one of my favorite meals:th:, my cats won't eat albie no matter how I make it.:thdwn:

Catching 5-10+ albies several times a week fishing that trap. It doesn't keep guys away that's for sure. 

70lb cubera caught in the trap two years ago. 

IMG_3825.JPG

Edited by Nomad92

Fresh false albacore is actually very good.  

You need to bleed the fish immediately and very well, then ice it down without delay.  Back at the dock, cut it into thin sashimi strips and serve cool with wasabi and soy.

But do it the same day, and never let the fish warm.  Keep it overnight, and the meat begins to oxidize and the quality plummets.

False albacore is mostly unpleasant to eat but as said above, served as sashimi it isn't as bad as some would say as long as you properly take care of the fish but taking out that blood and put it on a crap load of ice. I personally can't agree with the nets as there is no way you can control just how much by-catch comes up in the nets and no way to control how much of the targeted species comes up without compromising the health of the by-catch. I do support commercial as these fish have to get onto our plates but as a rec guy generally most Albie's make it when we target them, heck I've caught these hard tails with hook marks in their mouths in the same school and unless Im positive the fish will make it back alive I'll take it home with me for Shark/Crab bait or occasionally to eat.