mkus

No wonder there’s fewer Albies !!!!

Rate this topic

129 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Jokes on you if you think every Albie you release survives.  Let us know the next Albie you get that has hook marks. 

Basically.

Would love to see a legit peer reviewed study on albie, bonito, and other small tuna and the survival rate post catch and release.

Pretty sure it is around 10%, if that.

I don't believe in or practice catch and release on species which have poor odds of survival post release. If the odds of a fish species surviving is low post catch and release, I either target those species for use (food/bait) or I don't target them. In FW, that would mean I don't recreationally fish for trout or musky when water temps are elevated.

17 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:In FW, that would mean I don't recreationally fish for trout or musky when water temps are elevated.

Most trout and musky are stocked and don’t spawn. 

21 mins ago, 27conch said:

Why do the albies in this picture look HUGE?  The ones usually caught in R.I. waters typically range 6lb-10lb. 

They look like Harkers Island fish

About three weeks ago we had a Plume of Blue Water in on the Shrewsbury Rocks with Bluefin and Sharks feeding on Bunker schools. And our Leader says there's no Climate Change.

Keep blaming commercial fisherman you sound like a crying jealous bitch. God forbid people feed their family selling fish. They should starve so you can be a more successful sportsman. Most conservation I see is so ****ing selfish. Waahhh wahhh I need to post my hero fish pictures so everyone thinks im cool

10 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Basically.

Would love to see a legit peer reviewed study on albie, bonito, and other small tuna and the survival rate post catch and release.

Pretty sure it is around 10%, if that.

I don't believe in or practice catch and release on species which have poor odds of survival post release. If the odds of a fish species surviving is low post catch and release, I either target those species for use (food/bait) or I don't target them. In FW, that would mean I don't recreationally fish for trout or musky when water temps are elevated.

Well this post is in regards to a commercial netting and it’s impacting on local inshore species.

which have no survival rate caught in a net.

So it’s safe to say anglers aren’t killing as many fish as these nets are and what are these fish being used for no one has a definitive answer my whole point is these nets are outdated and they should not  be located so close to shore because of its impact on the recreational fishery!

Man what are you guys commercial fisherman trolling here lol feed their families ?!!that’s a laugh feed them some dead Albies.

Edited by mkus

On 9/15/2020 at 2:32 PM, C.Robin said:

Them being targeted or not is irrelevant to it being a massive waste. That is ridiculous bycatch.

Well, now at least those albies wont have to worry about being part of the high mortality from those damned C&R rec anglers.

On 9/16/2020 at 6:31 PM, The Riddler said:

So , stop fishing and sell your gear here in the BST.  You are a monster killing eVerything. 

Or, join the "get it while ya can" philosophy and keep what you want when you catch it.  

Really, i the grand scheme of things, does it matter if I keep a few short stripers or fertilize my garden with a cow?

In the end, what difference does it make?

9 hours ago, Badtothebugs said:

Waahhh wahhh I need to post my hero fish pictures so everyone thinks im cool

Huh?

The OP picture, from a Commercial Boat,  was literally exactly that.    "woo hoo, look at us!  Look at all our dead (useless) fish!"

40 mins ago, 55555s said:

Huh?

The OP picture, from a Commercial Boat,  was literally exactly that.    "woo hoo, look at us!  Look at all our dead (useless) fish!"

Theyre pretty excited about the pay check in sure

False albacore aren't as worthless as many of you--and I--thought.  I pulled up the NMFS commercial landings statistics for Rhode Island, and found landings and prices for the past few years.  What I came up with was:

Year                           Pounds                       Total ex vessel value     Average price/pound

2015                           51,806                         $39,729                         $0.77

2016                           12,624                          $10,532                         $0.83

2017                           79,951                          $41,566                         $0.52

2018                           30,357                          $25,514                         $0.84

2019                           15,547                          $13,451                         $0.87

So it looks as if there is some market demand for false albacore, that will pay around $0.80/pound--not too far off bluefish prices--for them.  It's possible that such demand is very limited, given that in 2017, when landings were substantially above what they were in the other four years, prices tanked, suggesting that the market was overwhelmed.

But it's pretty clear from the numbers that there is reason to bring false albacore to market, provided that landings don't exceed demand.

Edited by CWitek

52 mins ago, CWitek said:

False albacore aren't as worthless as many of you--and I--thought.  I pulled up the NMFS commercial landings statistics for Rhode Island, and found landings and prices for the past few years.  What I came up with was:

Year                           Pounds                       Total ex vessel value     Average price/pound

2015                           51,806                         $39,729                         $0.77

2016                           12,624                          $10,532                         $0.83

2017                           79,951                          $41,566                         $0.52

2018                           30,357                          $25,514                         $0.84

2019                           15,547                          $13,451                         $0.87

So it looks as if there is some market demand for false albacore, that will pay around $0.80/pound--not too far off bluefish prices--for them.  It's possible that such demand is very limited, given that in 2017, when landings were substantially above what they were in the other four years, prices tanked, suggesting that the market was overwhelmed.

But it's pretty clear from the numbers that there is reason to bring false albacore to market, provided that landings don't exceed demand.

Did you see anything about what the fish are being sold for? Food or bait?

13 hours ago, Pat_RI said:

Most trout and musky are stocked and don’t spawn. 

Well, if I was talking about put and take trout locations, yeah they might not spawn. But, does that excuse catching and releasing those fish dead by the dozens?

Also, musky do spawn. You are thinking of tiger musky. Again, does that excuse catching and releasing those fish dead?

Why justify the concept of irresponsible and wasteful fishing practices by making the claim that certain fish don't spawn so it is ok to catch, kill, release?