mkus

No wonder there’s fewer Albies !!!!

Rate this topic

92 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, SnookerFla said:

Bleed it, soak it in buttermilk overnight, grill it on a cedar plank on a bed of thinly sliced limes and onions. When cooked, throw out the fish and eat the cedar plank.

:waiting:

This joke is really getting old. Not funny in the least. Get some new material.

Boils down to one thing these fish are worth way more being released as most    “Normal people” prefer better table fare fluke blackfish etc .

5 hours ago, Gamakatsu said:

It isn't even that much fish. I don't the righteous indignation that some are showing.

That’s not a lot of fish? The entire boat is full. This probably wiped out entire schools right near shore in a popular fishing area. Hopefully they will get put to good use and not just lobster bait although I don’t know what other use they have. 

6 hours ago, z-man said:

That’s not a lot of fish? The entire boat is full. This probably wiped out entire schools right near shore in a popular fishing area. Hopefully they will get put to good use and not just lobster bait although I don’t know what other use they have. 

No, it's not a lot of fish. Especially considering it is the most abundant and prolific of all tuna species. Watch the tuna boats in Panama or Ecuador unload.

1 hour ago, Gamakatsu said:

No, it's not a lot of fish. Especially considering it is the most abundant and prolific of all tuna species. Watch the tuna boats in Panama or Ecuador unload.

Yes there are plenty of Albies in world but this happened in RI not Panama or Ecuador. There are much less Albies that migrate up North. Those fish have much more value to the economy for recreational fishermen traveling to catch them, buying tackle, coffee, gas etc than whatever pennies per pound that one commercial angler got for them. 

9 hours ago, z-man said:

Hopefully they will get put to good use and not just lobster bait although I don’t know what other use they have. 

That's what I was told over the years, lobster bait.

31 mins ago, hydraman said:

Why is it that every fish that gets commercial interest  ends up to sh-t. 

Methinks, you know the answer already???

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, Gamakatsu said:

From a global population perspective.. it's nothing. There are plenty of FA in the sea.

But from a localized (Rhode Island) and hyper-local (spots adjacent to traps) perspective, the traps certainly take a hefty cut. I believe the traps are emptied on a near daily basis most of the time. Harvesting a few thousand albies has to put a damper on the sport fishing at those spots, considering a fairly limited number of fish make the journey inshore each fall. Many fishermen are pretty enthusiastic about Albacore, and wait all year for a 3-5week run.

The traps are legal and they have every right to harvest albacore, assuming they have a commercial destination for the fish. But that doesn't mean there are no consequences for local hardtail anglers.