mkus

No wonder there’s fewer Albies !!!!

Rate this topic

92 posts in this topic

I know the boat and the traps.  This has been going on for a long time. Nothing will go to waste. Recs do their side of the damage as well. 

11 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I know the boat and the traps.  This has been going on for a long time. Nothing will go to waste. Recs do their side of the damage as well. 

I see plenty of what goes on from the "rec" side.  still seems pretty one sided to me.  That's a photo from one collection.  How often are they filling their traps like that? Frankly I don't give a **** if you say "nothing will go to waste"  when its already a waste. That's a large biomass of what we see local for false albacore. A lot of us look forward to this season. Chasing, catching and RELEASING them for other anglers with the same passion to catch. 

11 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Imagine each rec did something like that. Won’t go to waste no. I guess it will pay for the gas. 

5 mins ago, Ron Skinner said:

I see plenty of what goes on from the "rec" side.  still seems pretty one sided to me.  That's a photo from one collection.  How often are they filling their traps like that? Frankly I don't give a **** if you say "nothing will go to waste"  when its already a waste. That's a large biomass of what we see local for false albacore. A lot of us look forward to this season. Chasing, catching and RELEASING them for other anglers with the same passion to catch. 

Its all legal been doing it for years.  Never saw a shortage and point a finger at comms. If the latest gloom and doom is pointing fingers at Comms you might as well look into a mirror too.  We all had a hand in on it. Fish and be happy. 

4 hours ago, Saint Drew David said:

This has to be for cat food or something of that nature.

More like fertilizer, and I'm being kind. :D

2 hours ago, C.Robin said:

I know very little about commercial fishing with traps, so excuse my ignorance, but do you think they really need to have doors large enough for both porgies AND albies pushing 20-25 lbs?

They don’t have “doors” google is your friend.

2 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Can't you guys read? They were caught in a fish trap in RI. The traps target scup, but catch whatever swims into them. I'd wager that the owners/operators were disgusted that they caught them and they probably just dumped them. AFAIK they are commercially worthless.

Mike- why did they load them on the boat if they weren’t keeping them?  When the boats process what comes out of the trap, they throw any bicatch back over.  That kid in the picture sure was stoked about all those dead albies.

in general the traps are a very clean fishery, but I’m sure those were dead in before they were scooped out of the trap.

For those of you that are against the trap fishery- you should check out this 10 minute video.  It’s way cleaner than many other fisheries.

1 hour ago, hydraman said:

Imagine each rec did something like that. Won’t go to waste no. I guess it will pay for the gas. 

Commercial fishermen don’t want to catch anything that doesn’t pay them fairly for their time and effort. That catch won’t pay enough to cover their expenses for catching it. 

2 mins ago, Fitzy said:

Mike- why did they load them on the boat if they weren’t keeping them?  When the boats process what comes out of the trap, they throw any bicatch back over.  That kid in the picture sure was stoked about all those dead albies.

in general the traps are a very clean fishery, but I’m sure those were dead in before they were scooped out of the trap.

For those of you that are against the trap fishery- you should check out this 10 minute video.  It’s way cleaner than many other fisheries.

All of the fish traps that I know of in RI are located in town waters and most, if not all, of the towns in RI have laws that prohibit the discarding of fish or fish offal in town waters. So to comply with local laws they would have to, at a minimum, take the fish out of the traps and transport them to non-town waters to discard them.

3 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Agreed, so what would you like to see done about it? To me its the equivalent of a sporty catching a short fish and killing it while trying to get the hook out. Both are unintended waste.

I don't know about the RI traps, but the ones in Chatham and Harwich were able to lower the nets in the bowl and release unwanted species.

Seiners are a bit more efficient than a trap and honestly, I'm not sure what kind of trap catches that many bonita. They don't normally work the bottom.

7 mins ago, Gamakatsu said:

Seiners are a bit more efficient than a trap and honestly, I'm not sure what kind of trap catches that many bonita. They don't normally work the bottom.

Bonita? Your FL orientation is showing.

the government hassles us about the size of striped bass but does nothing to stop this ****.... they hassles us over a few inches of a fish  these traps do not know the difference between undersized or out of season fish so why is that okay but rec fisherman get hassled for the traps