mkus

No wonder there’s fewer Albies !!!!

Rate this topic

92 posts in this topic

What a waste. While I personally have had some good albie fishing already this year, this is inexcusable, especially for a fish with zero food value. There are some monsters on that deck too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well numbers at wall catches were starting out good but have now plummeted today was dead this am I remember 20+ years ago going up there and catching Albies at first light nonstop some days those days are long gone!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 11:36 AM, C.Robin said:

What a waste. While I personally have had some good albie fishing already this year, this is inexcusable, especially for a fish with zero food value. There are some monsters on that deck too.

It is considered by many to be a trash fish because it has a darker and stronger taste than that of the other tunas. However, the little tunny is commercially important in many locations, including the West Indies. It is marketed fresh, dried, canned, smoked, and frozen.
 

In preparing Little Tunny for consumption, it should be bled and iced as soon as possible after being caught. There are many ways to eat the Little Tunny, such as Tuna Salad. To do this, the fillets are first baked, then chilled and flaked, then mixed in with the salad. Removing the dark strips of meats that extend the length of each fillet helps to reduce the naturally fishy flavor. Another way to prepare the Little Tunny is first to bleed it, barbecue it in foil, remove the meat from the bone, and then let it chill overnight. Various seasonings can be used to enhance the flavor. Fresh steaks can be quite good if seasoned with salt, pepper and lemon, and thinly sliced tunny makes good sashimi. It is commonly eaten as such in Japan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, Otony said:

It is considered by many to be a trash fish because it has a darker and stronger taste than that of the other tunas. However, the little tunny is commercially important in many locations, including the West Indies. It is marketed fresh, dried, canned, smoked, and frozen.
 

In preparing Little Tunny for consumption, it should be bled and iced as soon as possible after being caught. There are many ways to eat the Little Tunny, such as Tuna Salad. To do this, the fillets are first baked, then chilled and flaked, then mixed in with the salad. Removing the dark strips of meats that extend the length of each fillet helps to reduce the naturally fishy flavor.[20] Another way to prepare the Little Tunny is first to bleed it, barbecue it in foil, remove the meat from the bone, and then let it chill overnight. Various seasonings can be used to enhance the flavor. Fresh steaks can be quite good if seasoned with salt, pepper and lemon, and thinly sliced tunny makes good sashimi. It is commonly eaten as such in Japan.


You can make almost anything taste okay with that much preparation. In the end, even with extensive preparation, they have poor food value even when compared to other "trash" fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bleed it, soak it in buttermilk overnight, grill it on a cedar plank on a bed of thinly sliced limes and onions. When cooked, throw out the fish and eat the cedar plank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, C.Robin said:


You can make almost anything taste okay with that much preparation. In the end, even with extensive preparation, they have poor food value even when compared to other "trash" fish.

Right get rid of the dark meat the whole Albie is dark meat not worth the effort more valuable as a gamefish!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't you guys read? They were caught in a fish trap in RI. The traps target scup, but catch whatever swims into them. I'd wager that the owners/operators were disgusted that they caught them and they probably just dumped them. AFAIK they are commercially worthless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Can't you guys read? They were caught in a fish trap in RI. The traps target scup, but catch whatever swims into them. I'd wager that the owners/operators were disgusted that they caught them and they probably just dumped them. AFAIK they are commercially worthless.

Them being targeted or not is irrelevant to it being a massive waste. That is ridiculous bycatch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, C.Robin said:

Them being targeted or not is irrelevant to it being a massive waste. That is ridiculous bycatch.

Agreed, so what would you like to see done about it? To me its the equivalent of a sporty catching a short fish and killing it while trying to get the hook out. Both are unintended waste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 mins ago, MakoMike said:

AFAIK they are commercially worthless.

Well lil curz seems to be pretty happy about them ;-).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Agreed, so what would you like to see done about it? To me its the equivalent of a sporty catching a short fish and killing it while trying to get the hook out. Both are unintended waste.

I know very little about commercial fishing with traps, so excuse my ignorance, but do you think they really need to have doors large enough for both porgies AND albies pushing 20-25 lbs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.