Fishing_NYC

Jamaica bay or Reynolds channel inlet?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am looking for options on where is best to dock boat I am looks at these 3 options. Looking to stay inshore as i am looking for boat under 23 feet for stripers and blues.

Jamaica bay inlet

Reynolds Channel Inlet

North Shore Long Island

Edited by Fishing_NYC

It all depends on what you want to do and how you like to fish.  Ultimately, it depends on your boat, too.

There is some great seasonal bass and bluefishing in Jamaica Bay, and if you have a boat that lets you get into the skinny water and like to cast, you can have a great time.  There's good fishing for false albacore, along with bass and blues, in the fall just outside the inlet.  But you may find some very slow fishing during midsummer.  There's some fluke in the bay, but not many legal fish during the summer; the ocean is better, but your opportunities are still fairly limited.

When you say "Reynolds Channel Inlet" it's not clear where you're talking about.  You've got Jones Inlet at the east end of Reynolds Channel, with dockage at Pt. Lookout or Freeport, and East Rockaway ("Debs") Inlet at the west end, with dockage at places such as Atlantic Beach.  There's decent bay fishing there, particularly behind Jones Inlet, for bass, blues, and weakfish, aloing with fluke, and you can run out to the Hempstead and Rockaway artificial reefs for black sea bass, scup, blackfish, ling, etc.  You also have a better shot at running not too far offshore for sharks, dolphin, and maybe school bluefin tuna at times (a 23-footer, depending on the hull, is big enough for that if you equip and handle it properly; years ago, I caught my share of sharks and tuna--including yellowfin pushing 100 pounds--from a 20-foot Sea Ox center console that I ran out of Fire Island Inlet).  Again, inside during the summer is going to be a little slow, but you can usually find some fluke around the inlets on the incoming tide.  If I docked here, I'd probably want to choose a marina in Freeport, as it gives me acccess to deeper water and the bays and channels around the Wantagh Bridges.  Also, if my boat had a cabin or T-top, running East Rockaway Inlet can be problematic near high tide, because the Long Beach railroad bridge is very low and can block passage unless it is raised.

The North Shore probably provides the most versatility (I grew up on the Connecticut side of Long Island Sound before I moved to Long Island).  You can plug bass and blues around the rocks and sod banks, you can fish for fluke and scup during the summer (there are black sea bass, too, but not as many as you have in the ocean), you can bait fish for bass and blues, you can troll both around the rocks and in mid-Sound, you can blackfish around the rocks, etc.  You lose ocean access, but you gain deeper water than you have in the South Shore bays.  Probably better fishing during the summer than you get elsewhere, and fishing during the spring and fall runs is also good.  It's crowded on weekends during most of the season, but so are the South Shore bays.  The striped bass run begins earlier in the spring, and runs into December in the fall.

So each place has its pluses and minuses.  You need to weigh them and decide for yourself.

it depends on where you live and what are your means of transportation?

Jamaica bay you have Dead Horse bay which is the closet marina to the inlet and is accessible via Flatbush ave.

Gerritsen Beach (Brooklyn) just around the corner from Dead Horse bay there is also dockage relatively closer to the Inlet / Tin Can Grounds. 

There used to be a gas Dock here as well (That is important) on the knapp street side. 

If you go debs inlet (aka East Rockaway inlet) there is a marina just past the Atlantic beach bridge in Lawrence, the next closet marina is between the LIRR Bridge and the Long Beach road Bridge.

Like Charlie says the railroad bridge is relatively low bridge. There is a gas Dock around the corner (Andy's)in Harbor Island. And as Charlie spoke too is you are going to go out of Jones.

The marinas either in Freeport or the east and west Town of Hempstead marinas that straddle the Loop Parkway bridge.( Don't know if they are open to outsiders))

I can't really speak to the North shore as I never boated up there, although I am back living in the Bronx and Fish its shores.

There is dockage on City Island on the Bronx Side as well as the worlds FAir Marina on the Queens side.

I never fished from a boat up on the North shore so I can't really comment there

If I had to choose I would go towards one of the ones in Brooklyn, I think you are closer to better fishing there, you have Breezy Point Jetty, The Tin Can Grounds, Ambrose channel and you are close enough that you could fish the Jersey side and you can run up in New York Bay

Just my .02 hope that helps

Edited by fishinthedark

thanks for all the input guys.. you gave me a lot to think about. I did not even think about the high tide, because the Long Beach railroad bridge. i am not planning on going offshore too much. i have fished in the north shore around crains etc but was looking at other options in the bays. 

I was looking at east rockaway inlet and around the atlantic beach bridge. I have some friends on kayaks that get nice fishing the for bass , blues, togs and porgies. i am not too familiar with the East side by point lookout. my other choice might be up north shore around eatons neck. that way i can fish long island sound and drive up to Connecticut side if anything. Still weighing my options on where to look for docks.

1 min ago, Fishing_NYC said:

thanks for all the input guys.. you gave me a lot to think about. I did not even think about the high tide, because the Long Beach railroad bridge. i am not planning on going offshore too much. i have fished in the north shore around crains etc but was looking at other options in the bays. 

I was looking at east rockaway inlet and around the atlantic beach bridge. I have some friends on kayaks that get nice fishing the for bass , blues, togs and porgies. i am not too familiar with the East side by point lookout. my other choice might be up north shore around eatons neck. that way i can fish long island sound and drive up to Connecticut side if anything. Still weighing my options on where to look for docks.

If you're thinking about going that far out on the North Shore, think of basing in Huntington.  I grew up on the other side, in Greenwich, CT, and ran from Pt. Jefferson to Bayville to Westchester to the Norwalk Islands and everywhere in between. It's a very good area.  I still go up to Connecticut every year to fish with a friend, bounce of the rocks, and catch bass.  In fact, casting for bass in the boulder fields is one of my favorite ways to fish.

If you weren't planning on fishing the ocean much, I would definitely pick the north shore. Will have much more days you can comfortably get out in a smallish boat, and still have open water. I personally like having ocean access, but also having a small CC, there are very few days (especially this year) I can safely make it out of the inlet.

Edited by C.Robin

27 mins ago, CWitek said:

If you're thinking about going that far out on the North Shore, think of basing in Huntington.  I grew up on the other side, in Greenwich, CT, and ran from Pt. Jefferson to Bayville to Westchester to the Norwalk Islands and everywhere in between. It's a very good area.  I still go up to Connecticut every year to fish with a friend, bounce of the rocks, and catch bass.  In fact, casting for bass in the boulder fields is one of my favorite ways to fish.

yea i think i will decide on north shore. until i get bored a few years and then discover new places. any recommendations on decent marinas near beaches for the kid and wife. lol I used to fish near the " triangle" 11b without giving too much away and produced decent porgies, blues and seabass. never tried there for bass. so looking to expand from there for bass during sprint and fall.

42 mins ago, Fishing_NYC said:

yea i think i will decide on north shore. until i get bored a few years and then discover new places. any recommendations on decent marinas near beaches for the kid and wife. lol I used to fish near the " triangle" 11b without giving too much away and produced decent porgies, blues and seabass. never tried there for bass. so looking to expand from there for bass during sprint and fall.

I can't think of the name of the place, but there's a big marina where two of my friends keep their boats.  Let me see if I can recall the name.

On 9/22/2020 at 6:32 PM, CWitek said:

I can't think of the name of the place, but there's a big marina where two of my friends keep their boats.  Let me see if I can recall the name.

Been checking marinas in Huntington and they are very expensive, $175+ per foot. 

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

That's not cheap.  I'm only paying $110 at a very good marina in Babylon.

only $110.. i have friends in brooklyn paying $70-80 and they say thats expensive. lol long island is a different beast. 

36 mins ago, Fishing_NYC said:

only $110.. i have friends in brooklyn paying $70-80 and they say thats expensive. lol long island is a different beast. 

Security is a big part of it.

I'm in a gated marina, and have confidence that my electronics will still be on the boat when I want to go out.  No problem leaving gaffs and such out in plain sight, and more than a few anglers even leave rods in the rod holders from week to week.

Some of the marinas up in Huntington have 24-hour security guards.

On the other hand, a friend of mine is a guide who is involved with conservation issues, who kept one boat at a Brookllyn marina.  He called the DEC to report poachers illegally commercializing striped bass, and they figured out it was him that dropped a dime.  Came down to his boat one day, to find it underwater, with one of the marina's fresh water hoses still running, and stuck in his boat.  No one saw a thing...

Plus, if I find that I have a problem when I go out one day--say a burned out bilge pump or a horn that decided not to work in the last fog, I can email the marina and the problem will be fixed quickly and without hassles.

In the end, you get what you pay for.

Edited by CWitek

15 mins ago, CWitek said:

Security is a big part of it.

I'm in a gated marina, and have confidence that my electronics will still be on the boat when I want to go out.  No problem leaving gaffs and such out in plain sight, and more than a few anglers even leave rods in the rod holders from week to week.

Some of the marinas up in Huntington have 24-hour security guards.

On the other hand, a friend of mine is a guide who is involved with conservation issues, who kept one boat at a Brookllyn marina.  He called the DEC to report poachers illegally commercializing striped bass, and they figured out it was him that dropped a dime.  Came down to his boat one day, to find it underwater, with one of the marina's fresh water hoses still running, and stuck in his boat.  No one saw a thing...

Plus, if I find that I have a problem when I go out one day--say a burned out bilge pump or a horn that decided not to work in the last fog, I can email the marina and the problem will be fixed quickly and without hassles.

In the end, you get what you pay for.

hows the fishing by your marina? I like to fish for porgies, bass and tog. so I am looking for a place for all these type of fish.

56 mins ago, Fishing_NYC said:

hows the fishing by your marina? I like to fish for porgies, bass and tog. so I am looking for a place for all these type of fish.

Honestly, you’re better off on the North Shore.

We have decent weakfish, some bass in the spring and fall, and OK fluke early, but after that, most of the decent bottom fishing is on the artificial reefs and wrecks in the ocean.

I don’t mind, because I like to get outside and away from the crowds, plus I chase sharks, tuna and mahi.  But for what you enjoy, the Sound is a better place.