Bait Tailer

Gut hooked 2 schoolies

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I have a few schoolies every year take it deeper than I like, it happens. If I pick up a couple small fish I either move or switch to some flies I tied on 2/0 Gama Octopus hooks and that seems to remedy the problem. I usually don't attempt to remove deep flies, I just cut the leader. I have lots of flies and don't want  to cause any extra damage. 

Don't stress it, At least you have the mind set that these fish might not make it and that you could try to do better next time. Some people could care less and just routinely kill small bass because the fish swallows it every time and spend two days taking their hook out on the same group of small bass.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, chuckbucktail said:

Let me know how the circle hooks treat ya if you go that route. If they lessen the chance of a deep hook or foul hook even, why the hell not?

Will do. A quick search produced a bunch of interesting circle hook flies with all sorts of tube and shank combinations.  

Ive always preferred the circles for slack line conventional presentations with eels unweighted sluggo type stick baits and even wacky rigged senkos for the largemouth.  might was well try them on the fly too.

Edited by Bait Tailer