lurejunkie00

Fluke

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

First yr I’ve really targeted them since the late 90s by boat off stonington...certainly don’t remember needing to work so hard for them. 

I managed a keeper every other time out, but I had to constantly move around and be on point with the jig technique. (Western LIS)

Had only one keeper fluke all year altho with covid did not get out as often. But several trips, caught only I shorty. Neither size nor quantity were good this year for me anyway in Eastern LIS. Seabass and porgy were good however. 

Fluke season is just about over. How was your year? I didn’t fish for them a ton of times but only got one keeper all year and didn’t even catch that many shorts compared to previous years. Sea bass fishing was the best I’ve ever seen though. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Block Island is great but too far for my friends boat. We used to do nicely off the Westerly beaches, but now that commercial boats kill everything over 14” these is no chance of a fish making it to 19”. 

Edited by lurejunkie00

9 hours ago, lurejunkie00 said:

Block Island is great but too far for my friends boat. We used to do nicely off the Westerly beaches, but now that commercial boats kill everything over 14” these is no chance of a fish making it to 19”. 

Commercial boats have always had a 14 inch minimum size.

Something is definitely wrong with the fluke population I don’t know whether it’s from draggers or not but it seems rare to catch anything over 12-14” now. 

You guys might want to contact your ASMFC reps, the MAFMC and ASMFC, which jointly manage fluke, are considering an amendment that would significantly give more of the allowable catch to recreational fishermen.