jimbighead

Bait bait bait

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Pogie palooza, herring, Brit herring, I think peanuts and these guys (silversides?)

in my hood.  Bass going Nutz on them tonight 

flooding under my underwater lights we could scoop them up in a bucket 

fish staging for sure 

did ok on mackerel and pogie chunk 

nothing big just the usual 24-27” class

tucked away “out” of the wind that never laid  down 

but a lot of them

and they are angry and fat 

tight lines everyone 

jim 

8B2C7815-C4F1-4ECA-AF47-DF6F2D59C08B.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 mins ago, 55555s said:

Spearing

Both Scott & 55555s correct, definitely a spearing/silverside.  I've yet to see one up here in 10 years of "looking'...

Edited by Roccus7

11 hours ago, jimbighead said:

There were huge schools of them getting hammered in the dark last night 

nutz

That's when you pull out 5" jointed Redfins and crank them in SLLOOOWWWW!!  When you think you're reeling too slow, cut your speed in 1/2.

We threw the kitchen sink at them (no red fins)

sp in 5 colors

several sluggo variations 

buck tails 

chunk out performed

especially whole tinkers  

but

big fish were there 

and missed 

I suck 

10 hours ago, jimbighead said:

We threw the kitchen sink at them (no red fins)

sp in 5 colors

several sluggo variations 

buck tails 

chunk out performed

especially whole tinkers  

but

big fish were there 

and missed 

I suck 

Ah the beauty of bass feeding at night and not showing any interest.  Usually a Redfin will do it, but we're talking maybe 1 or 2 hits while fish are slurping bait all around you.  If your retrieve was slower than extreme impulse power, you were going too fast.  AND the instant your plug has any resistance, time to use the "Full Saturday AM Bassmasters" hookset.  I've probably put more seaweed into orbit during my night striper fishing than SpaceX has launched satellites...

It was especially bad during the cinder worm hatch on LI, listening to bass and weakfish slurp dinner all around you all night and you were blessed to come home with one fish.  There were 3 incidents where I threw my rod down into the water, storming out screaming, "That's IT!!!!  I'm buying golf clubs!!!!"  However, after sitting on some driftwood for 5 minutes or so, I cooled off enough to retrieve the rods...

Just happy to see feeding

always unsurprised....and angry/frustrated when I cant catch any of the hordes in front of me 

I’ll be back tonight 

likely the bass are not worried 

Jim

2 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Ah the beauty of bass feeding at night and not showing any interest.  Usually a Redfin will do it, but we're talking maybe 1 or 2 hits while fish are slurping bait all around you.  If your retrieve was slower than extreme impulse power, you were going too fast.  AND the instant your plug has any resistance, time to use the "Full Saturday AM Bassmasters" hookset.  I've probably put more seaweed into orbit during my night striper fishing than SpaceX has launched satellites...

It was especially bad during the cinder worm hatch on LI, listening to bass and weakfish slurp dinner all around you all night and you were blessed to come home with one fish.  There were 3 incidents where I threw my rod down into the water, storming out screaming, "That's IT!!!!  I'm buying golf clubs!!!!"  However, after sitting on some driftwood for 5 minutes or so, I cooled off enough to retrieve the rods...

X2 on the red fins!  Also a teaser on a plug (needle fish) can pull some bass out of the mix 

Those situations are perfect for 4" Sluggo or FinSFish on a 1/8oz ball jig - albino, pink or alewife color. A little smelly jelly and you'll catch one every cast until you spook them :)

TimS