Uncle Stu

Success in the Eastern Sierra

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Last week, my buddy invited me on a last-minute trout trip to the Eastern Sierra. I had one evening to prep and I had not fished all summer (for trout, not since last summer). He had a tip on a solid bite and the tip paid off, making that 6-hour drive worth it. He did well drifting hoppers, and I caught less fish but bigger ones by dredging an olive bugger under the banks and in the deep holes. Normally I would be in AK right now, battling 10lb coho on a 6w two-hander, but you know what's almost as much fun? Battling a 22" rainbow on a 3w glass stick. My buddy's last fish was an absolute slab of a fat prespawn brown, which sipped a small hopper about a foot from an undercut bank. We both caught and released the biggest trout of our lives. And yes, it was super smoky. 

IMG_20200914_093453_276.jpg

IMG_20200912_095427_281.jpg

IMG_20200912_094119_119.jpg

IMG_20200912_113521_254.jpg

Edited by Uncle Stu

4 mins ago, Phil K said:

The pic of the brown looks like a painting. Was it enhanced in someway? Beautiful fish.

Yup--Prisma and Instagram filters. My buddy hooked it it, I just held it very briefly. 

Edited by Uncle Stu

secret river?

I might be headed there next week.. pending fires and smoke.  You camp?

Edited by mightyrime

22 hours ago, mightyrime said:

I might be headed there next week.. pending fires and smoke.  You camp?

hiya mighty... will send you a PM. 

Edited by Uncle Stu

Nice work, I'm just starting to explore around the Sierras, being an east coast saltwater flatlander, it's like learning a whole new language. 

10 hours ago, slowroller said:

Nice work, I'm just starting to explore around the Sierras, being an east coast saltwater flatlander, it's like learning a whole new language. 

I've lived on the Cali coast for 23 years and I never realized that I could catch rainbows and browns up to two feet long within a days drive. I've seen it in books, but now I believe it. I'm ready to go back. 

I know that river well, and I used to fish it a lot when I was young.  If you were on the stretch that I think you were, there used to be an incredible spring bite there. Not sure if this is still happening, but around 30 years ago they stocked McConaughy strain rainbows in the reservoir downstream from there.  They'd migrate upstream in the spring to spawn (unsuccessfully I was told).  The fishing was stupid easy. Some guy from the Mammoth Lakes fly shop came up with an egg pattern that was so effective it should have been outlawed.  It was a just a gold bead veiled with egg yarn.  Not even fair.  Those fish sometimes got pretty big, they fought hared, and they were beautifully marked and colored for the spawn.  I'm not sure if that population was sustained, but it sure was fun while it lasted.  Good to see that there's still some nice fish in there.  Great pics.