rst3

Birds: Packing up and Getting Out

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

30 mins ago, bdowning said:

Anyone seen Monarchs migrating this season? I haven't seen any yet. 

Yes. Casco Bay region during Labor day weekend they were in full migration mode. Streaming down the beach at Fort Popham.

This past weekend just a few early scouts in SoCo RI.

3 hours ago, Plug and teaser said:

Interest has been mostly birds here, but have been starting with butterflies a little...... I'm sure Dragonflies will won't be far behind.

gst.jpg.50a8d1ea32c6e05377dd4b925bff473f.jpg

Those giants persist in your area another year. One of these days I will have to get out there.

Those things just won't wander into Middlesex county. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Plug and teaser said:

:th: We are lucky to get one or two Giant Swallowtails each year here in Western Ma.

I looked through the wife's Butterfly pics looking for a Cloudless Sulphurs. This looks like the only possibility ( seems like there are many varieties.) Pic from 2012 with her old watermark.

5f6776610d8b5_butterfly.jpg.0a63aaa25de25c5c99087ab310aa2b3e.jpg

Beauty,kudos to the wife for a nice pic,but that's a common sulphur.Cloudless has no black margin(hence the name) on it's wings,pointed wingtips not rounded, about 1/3 larger and is a greenish-yellow.There is also a white phase of the common sulphur,same markings but a buttery-cream color.

Wow,amazing you get Giants.20 yrs ago it was the same here,1 or 2/yr,shows how fast the climate is changing and how quickly an organism takes advantage of that.Kinda like triggerfish...

Edited by slip n slide

7 hours ago, Milky said:

Those giants persist in your area another year. One of these days I will have to get out there.

Those things just won't wander into Middlesex county. 

Still rare to see one here at home, but 1 or 2 a year is normal.

Might have a chance at someplace like Stanley Park that's across the street from Westfield State University.

Not far from here and they have large gardens there, but not sure if they're butterfly friendly.

Long ride for a small chance, but I know how it goes......:th:

5 hours ago, slip n slide said:

Beauty,kudos to the wife for a nice pic,but that's a common sulphur.Cloudless has no black margin(hence the name) on it's wings,pointed wingtips not rounded, about 1/3 larger and is a greenish-yellow.There is also a white phase of the common sulphur,same markings but a buttery-cream color.

Wow,amazing you get Giants.20 yrs ago it was the same here,1 or 2/yr,shows how fast the climate is changing and how quickly an organism takes advantage of that.Kinda like triggerfish...

Thanks, we will keep an eye out for the Cloudless. :th:

16 mins ago, oldgoat said:

i KEEP A MILKWEED PATCH TO LURE MONARKS BUT ONLY SEE A FEW.

This has been a down year compared to the past 2 or 3.

However, bear in mind, they were almost gone for awhile there. Only recently have we seen a decent return to numbers. 

Monarchs are super faddish right now with internet driven interest and all kinds of people planting milkweed and raising caterpillars. Some resurgence can probably be attributed to that.

They still are cyclical and vulnerable to weather year to year.

Their wintering grounds in Mexico is under attack so they suffer from human shenanigans south of the border too.

19 hours ago, bob_G said:

I've still got hummingbirds. Had a female at my feeder a few minutes ago.

I was in RI last week, still had plenty before I left. Wife says she hasn't seen one since Friday, and I haven't in the 2 mornings since I got home. They were like clockwork before so I'm sure as my grandson like to say, they're "gone on vacation".